Monday, August 25, 2008

Good First Day

My first day of classes went well, I think. Because we were away this weekend, I'd been forced to have my syllabi completed and photocopied last week, and it certainly helped not to be running around trying to do that stuff today. And I swam before going to work, which may be one reason my energy level stayed pretty constant: I didn't have a mid-afternoon lull, and still had energy for my evening class.

I even got a little knitting done in my office today (and took some ribbing about it from people who saw me and thought I wasn't working hard enough!).

Both classes seem like good groups; my Women & Lit students, in particular, opened up to a degree that's unusual for a first day. So that bodes well for the rest of the semester.

I also met with the lone med student in my Narrative Medicine class today, for the second time, and that was really fun. She's doing some very powerful writing. Although she keeps saying she doesn't "get" poetry, she brought a poem to our meeting today that I loved, and that I'm encouraging her to try to publish.

And now I'm going to veg out and watch DVDs with Gary. And knit.


  1. "Took some ribbing" about your knitting! Aaaaah! Knitting pun! (Accidental, I'm sure.)

    I miss teaching SO MUCH but most of all this time of year. And I think I will always have that Sunday night panic moment, thinking I've forgotten to do my grading and my class prep.

  2. Sounds like you're in for a great semester, Susan. That Women & Lit class you teach must be wonderful. Will you share the reading list for it?


  3. "(and took some ribbing about it from people who saw me and thought I wasn't working hard enough!)."

    Hey! I resemble that remark! :)

    Thanks for the blurb BTW. And Sherri says "Hi" back.


Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.