Thursday, August 14, 2008

Not So Fast, Please!


For most of my life, people have taken me as younger than my actual age. This was extremely annoying in my twenties, although it became more welcome in my thirties and forties. However, one reason I welcomed the advent of gray hair was that it made me look more mature and distinguished.

Watch what you wish for.

I got a haircut the other day. Our local place used to charge $12 but recently went up to $14 (still a bargain!). When I went to pay for the cut, the twenty-something behind the counter said, "That will be twelve dollars."

"Twelve?" I said. "I thought it was fourteen now."

"Oh, I'm sorry!" she said. "Aren't you a senior?"

"No! I'm forty-seven!"

When I got home, I told Gary the story, and he tried to reassure me. "You hardly have any wrinkles, and you don't look a day over fifty."

I guess I'm going to have to speed up that claiming-graceful-cronehood project.

5 comments:

  1. It's amusing that clerks don't even ask. And then there are the places that card you just because you showed up. :) It was only a year ago that I finally qualified for both crone and senior. And I wear both titles proudly!

    Peace!
    Lee

    ReplyDelete
  2. huh. I thought you were about 45. shows what I know.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lee -- Good for you! And Alexis: Well, I am about forty-five. Plus or minus two years isn't far off!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Why do you think I shaved off my beard? I was sick of students on campus calling me "Sir" :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I had the same thing happen - I picked up a sandwich for one of my kids at a local fast food place and they gave me the senior's discount - I was 41 at the time. :P

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.