Sunday, August 24, 2008

SF Trip, Photos I: People

Here's Gary at a little restaurant where we ate lunch. Isn't he handsome?

I guess I should have asked him to take a picture of me, but he's much more photogenic than I am, so it's probably just as well that I didn't!

Here are David, on the left, and Danny, on the right, holding hands after the wedding. A friend of their got a Justice-of-the-Peace-for-a-Day certificate so he could marry them; he's standing behind him. The composition of this picture isn't the greatest, but it was difficult to get a good shot, because everyone else was angling with their cameras, too! The important thing is that it was a lovely wedding, and we all had a great time.

We wound up sitting at David and Danny's table at the restaurant (there was no seating plan), although we were at the other end of a long table from them, and didn't get to talk to them during the meal. That's Danny at the end, David next to him, and their officiant -- whose name escapes me -- next to David.

Here are the two grooms with the two best men. The fellow with the beard is my friend Larry Lustig from college; Larry, his wife Laura, David and I were all in the campus science fiction society. Gary and I hadn't seen Larry and Laura since our own wedding, so we had a great time catching up. They brought their two young daughters and their niece; their oldest girl had asked what kind of wedding cake David and Danny would serve, and when Larry said he didn't know, she rolled her eyes and said, "Well, okay, but what kind of cake do they serve at traditional gay weddings?" Larry told that story during his toast, and everyone laughed.

There was a lot of talk of new traditions at the wedding. (The cake was chocolate, and excellent, for anyone who's interested.) Unfortunately -- and infuriatingly -- there's a ballot measure to make gay marriage unconstitutional in California: if it passes in November, weddings that have already taken place will be legal, but there won't be any new ones. In lieu of wedding presents, David and Danny asked for donations to the fund fighting that ballot measure.

After the reception, Larry and Laura took the kids for a walk on the beach. They were giving me and Gary a lift back to our hotel, but because the weather was cold and because we were very full, we elected to wait for them in the museum below the restaurant, which had nifty murals. I sat and knitted, and then I looked up and saw, opposite me, a mural of a woman knitting! How perfect is that? (I guess technically this photo should be in my third photo post, the one devoted to pictures of things, but it's a painting of a person, so I'm letting it slide.)

1 comment:

  1. Congratulations to the happy couple. That bill seems inappropriate. Hope it dies a quick effective death.

    Lovely mural, thanks for sharing!



Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.