Sunday, August 24, 2008

SF Trip, Photos III: Things


I call this one "Found Still Life." We found it on our beach walk on Saturday. The weather was cool and cloudy, but if anything, that was better for taking photographs. I've become very fond of our little digital camera, although I can't claim to be a great photographer!

Here's a slightly less lovely found still life: Seaweed with Jellyfish. It must be jellyfish season, because there were zillions of them all over the beach. They were the clear jellyfish, and I don't think those sting too badly, but I wasn't about to handle them to try to find out.

I love how this stick is reflected in the wet sand. There were a lot of birds on the beach, and I tried to get some photos with the birds reflected in the sand, but they were too quick for me and kept flying away. We also met various adorable dogs, but I didn't take pictures of them.

Here's another found still life, Driftwood with Waves.

After our walk on the beach, we went to the Asian Art Museum, which allows photography on the second and third floors. This sculpture of a dog makes me laugh every time we go there, so I thought I'd take a picture of it this time.

I'm also very fond of this hilarious duck vase. Gary and I discovered that we both like the unusual, unexpected things in the museum, rather than the items that look like every example of Asian art you've ever seen. The main museum exhibit was of Treasures from the Ming Dynasty, and the stuff was beautiful, but to me, it also seemed stereotypical, so it left me cold. All the Ming vases look like every knockoff of a Ming vase you've ever seen in a gift shop, you know? (I know they're infinitely valuable, but I'm not an art historian, so they have no hold on me.) Also, while I admire Buddhism, gallery after gallery of Buddha statues got to be a bit much.

We loved Japanese bamboo basketry, though, and also the Korean textile exhibit. The museum's having a show of Islamic art that starts in a few weeks, and Gary and I both love that stuff, so we're going to try to make it back to the city so we can see it.

2 comments:

  1. Lovely still life on the beach shots, Susan! You're getting quite good with that camera. I've not managed to escape from the full auto settings on mine but intend to work on that.

    Hope!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Some interesting photos, in this and the other post.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.