Saturday, April 26, 2008

Quake Update


Last night's quake has actually been downgraded to a 4.7. That's a refreshing change!

Thanks to everyone who left comments on my previous posts. Several of you said that these little quakes are letting off steam so we won't get a big one; I'd have assumed that, too, except that the magnitudes have been increasing, which is evidently very unusual. So all kinds of bulletins are going out about what to do In the Event of a Major Earthquake. We even made the front page of AOL, which specializes in breathless, fear-mongering headlines. "BIG EARTHQUAKE SET TO STRIKE? Scientists tell city to get ready!"

Some houses had a bit of structural damage from last night's quake, and lots of ketchup bottles and mayonnaise bottles fell off supermarket shelves. Let's hope we don't get anything worse. Meanwhile, I ate on the "safe" side of the dining room table again tonight, and also skipped swimming in favor of taking a walk. When I thought about swimming, all I could see was the rest of the building collapsing into the ground-floor pool. I'm sure the building's safer than that, but I still felt safer walking.

Gary and I both twitch whenever we feel anything resembling a tremor: cats jumping onto furniture, the other person tapping a foot, the fridge making noises, etc. Don't anybody jump out at me and yell "boo" for a while, okay?

3 comments:

  1. We're glad everyone is ok so far! Alas earthquakes in Nevada are inevitable according to what I've read of modern geology, as the entire geography of the state -- basin and range -- apparently reflects an immense amount of underground deep activity. John McPhee's book about it quotes geologists as saying the entire state will someday sunder and unzip down to the Baja California gulf...the sea will flood in...should only take about ten million years! Love & Hugs to stay safe, Elena G & Ed

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Elena! Yep, the Great Basin used to be marine territory, and one day probably will be again. In the meantime, it seems rather less likely to become beachfront property than, say, Maine. Gary and I are usually happy to be living at altitude and out of hurricane territory, but wildfires and earthquakes do temper our enthusiasm a bit. Every part of the country has some disaster to worry about, though!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous7:21 AM

    Dear Susan,

    Women's self defense courses always advise women to pay attention to their gut feelings no matter how silly they seem - while such courses are usually talking about more personal opponents than your anonymous earthquakes, I am glad to hear that you are listening to your inner wisdom when it comes to changing your chair from one side of the table to the other, modifying your exercise routine from swimming to walking, and so on and so forth. Keep listening to those inner voices!

    As far as disasters more generally, I loved your reply to Elena. It made me chuckle because it reminds me of when I was a child just come to California in time for forest fires and earthquakes - and my grandparents were worried about us because they were used to us all living in a land of blizzards and black-outs instead.

    Good to know that God has us all no matter where we live, I guess.

    Jean

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.