Thursday, April 10, 2008

Certificate of Appointment

This arrived in my campus mailbox yesterday. I'm not usually smitten with fancy certificates -- I haven't framed any of my diplomas, for instance -- but I have to admit that this one tickles me (even if the title is a consolation prize for the fact that the med school can't pay me, becauase I'm already UNR faculty).

I laughed aloud at the "eudcation" typo. Obviously they really need an English professor over there!

Gary was teasing me last night. "So if there's a medical emergency, you can handle it?"

"Er, no. I don't even know much first aid. I mean, I know that the 'ABCs' are Airway, Breathing, and Circulation, but I wouldn't be sure what to do about any of those things." (And yes, I've had CPR training, several times. I still don't think I'd be able to perform CPR in an emergency, although I gather that the procedure's been simplified recently so there's less counting involved.)

The form letter that came with the certificate, clearly geared to physicians, was quite amusing. It informed me that for the appointment to be renewed next year, I'll have to send in evidence of continuing medical licensure and malpractice insurance.

That could be a challenge!


  1. Thanks for linking to the revised and simplified CPR directives. They will doubtless save lives while sparing families from the pain of futile resucitation attempt at the hospital.

  2. Well, congratulations on this, Susan. Maybe you can start an album.


  3. Congratulations on being an official medical eudcator!

  4. Susan, I think you've misunderstood the certificate. It's not a typo, but a Freudian slip. I think "eudcation" is derived from the Greek: eu[d] "good" and katisxuw, imperfect katisxuon "dominate," or "win a victory." Thus, based on the imperfect, this construction would be "grabbing the good stuff." I grant you that not all physicians are so focused; but, then, they aren't required to learn Greek anymore, either.

  5. LOL! Funny comment, Marshall!

    Arthur: Thank you.

    Lee: An album containing what? This and my printed-crooked preaching license? Ha!

    Mary: You're welcome!

  6. . . . or to do their certificates with a good word processor.


Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.