Wednesday, April 02, 2008

Mending and Healing


Bali, tearing around my study like a wild thing, just knocked down this angel statue and broke off its left wing. The surface is too narrow to glue; I sent a panicky e-mail to one of my students, who's a ceramicist, to see if she can repair it or knows anyone who can. The statue's from Gulf-Coast Mississippi, and it means a lot to me. I hope it can be fixed!

On a happier note, I just signed up for a "Writing as Healing Ministry" summer session course at the Pacific School of Religion:
This experiential workshop is designed for individuals who wish to incorporate writing as part of a healing ministry to people suffering from poverty, loss, serious illness, or other life difficulties. A variety of therapeutic writing methodologies will be explored through small and large group activities, as well as the reflective and spiritual aspects of one's own writing practice.
The course will be taught by Sharon Bray, who looks like a facinating person. I've seen this course in the PSR summer catalog for several years now, and was always intrigued by it; it always lost out, though, to things that interested me more, or that I needed for church licensure.

Right now, though, the course seems perfect for me. I doubt that I'll be able to use any of these techniques in the ER, where I have so little time with patients. They should be very useful in my work at the medical school, though, and I'm hoping that I can find a way to incorporate at least some of them -- in academic rather than spiritual form -- into my English Department courses.

And I always enjoy spending a week in Berkeley!

Speaking of travel, there's been a change of plans for next March. We were going to go to Cabo with our dear friends Katharine and Jim, but Gary decided that it would be nice to do a spring break on our own (we've spent it with Katharine for the past three years).

He really wanted to go to a big city, and I really wanted sunshine and ocean, essential components of getting through spring semester. He tried to sell me on Seattle. I love Seattle, but not in March. So instead, we're going to see if we can find a good package to Honolulu. The Expedia and Orbitz calendars only go out to February 2009 right now; if we were traveling then, we'd be able to get roundtrip airfare and seven nights in a Waikiki hotel for slightly less than we paid just for airfare to Kaua'i. I don't know if that will be true during Spring Break -- Kaua'i flights would have been cheaper during February, too -- but I'm keeping my fingers crossed!

1 comment:

  1. Susan, I'm so sorry your angel is broken. Was Bali at all apologetic?

    They say variety is the spice of life. I bet Katherine and husband will be open to other summers since you love their company.

    Peace!

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.