Tuesday, March 11, 2008

Yay, Rob!


My friend Rob Lively just sold a science-fiction story to a Canadian magazine. He wrote the story when he was in one of my fiction workshops, and I love it. It's about an android who learns to love jazz; it's just gorgeous, very haunting. (And I don't even like jazz!)

Rob and I go way back. I first met him in 2000, when he took a summer course I was teaching on science fiction. Since then, he's been in a number of my classes. He was one of my students when the Dean walked into my classroom to tell me I'd gotten tenure; Rob was the only other person in the room who knew what that meant, and immediately started clapping.

He's now an English professor himself at Truckee Meadows Community College, where he teaches a back-breaking five courses a semester. He's also working on his PhD at UNR. With all that, plus a family, I'm amazed that he has time to submit stories.

He just e-mailed me the publication news, and I'm absolutely delighted. Go, Rob!

5 comments:

  1. Congratulations to Rob! I remember the story well. Plus, robots are pretty much just totally awesome. That's a huge deal. Hope all is well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey, Char! Great to see you here! I hope all's well in your world, too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous3:05 PM

    Five classes is a normal community college load. The average class size is smaller, so with luck that compensates.

    I'm support staff in the biology department of a community college, and in charge of our schedule. The average load here would be three lectures (30-50 students) and three labs (15-25 students). We do have one guy who manages a university schedule; he teaches one 5-credit lecture/lab (6-8 students) and spends the rest of his time writing grants. He also thinks I should be his TA, but I'm not.

    That's great about your student.

    --Jeff Smith

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi, Jeff! Yes, I know it's a normal load, which only increases my admiration for people who teach community college!

    Rob teaches mainly composition courses, and I believe a typical class size is 30. That's a lot of papers to grade every semester.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous9:18 PM

    Yeah, that is a lot of papers, and unfortunately I know the quality of much of them.

    I still treasure the compliment my own comp teacher gave me, all those many years ago: He said that as he worked his way through the stack of papers, and reached mine, he didn't read it, but put on the bottom of the pile -- so he knew he'd at least finish off with a good one.

    Jeff

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.