Saturday, March 01, 2008

Lucky Charms


Here's a photo -- not a very good one, alas -- of three of the eight stitch markers my sister made me. They're all different, which makes them extra fun. This will at least give you a sense of what they look like. I especially like the unusual jump rings, with their pretty pattern. (As always, click to enlarge.) I wish I'd taken this photo with the right side of the knitting up, but oh well!

Meanwhile, Gary managed to get this at-least-partly-in-focus shot of four other items. Last Sunday, I found the little ceramic cat in my church mailbox: someone who knows I love cats had left it there for me as an anonymous gift (and no one would take credit, although I have my guesses!).

Below the cat is my newly constructed good-luck necklace; since it's now March, my official Worst Month (talk about triggers!), I decided that I needed all the help I could get. The chain's from Maui, and thus conjures good memories. The celtic cross in the middle, which I found in the WisCon dealers' room last year, is the cross I wear to the hospital: it's enough like a cross to be recognizable, but it's also subtle enough not to alarm patients with histories of religious abuse. The woman who sold it to me said it was a St. Brigid's Cross, but I think it actually represents Brigantia, the celtic goddess of healing and creativity, who was co-opted by Christianity as Brigid. For me, it's the face of the divine feminine, the healing aspect of Christ. (The patients who've noticed it have really liked it; I've never gotten a negative response.)

I've been wearing the cross for months. A week or so ago, I saw a Jewish friend at the gym and admired a necklace she was wearing. She told me it was a hamsa, a protective hand; it turns out that this symbol is beloved by both Judaism and Islam. I became fascinated and decided that I wanted one for myself, so I ordered my pretty silver-and-onyx version from a fun online vendor (with excellent customer service, btw) called the Luck Factory.

I'm very fond of the number three, so I needed a third charm. I decided to use a tiny pink agate heart my mother gave me one Valentine's Day years and years ago, when I was in junior high or high school. The pink balances the darkness of the onyx, and the heart repeats the heart shape at the top of the hamsa and in the face on the cross.

So there you go. Susan's Symbology 101. If nothing else, I now have an interesting conversation piece!

1 comment:

  1. The heart also surrounds you with love from someone close to you. That can be a nice addition to your circle of protection. There are few things more protective than a mother's love.

    Love the stitch counters. You've got a very talented sister.

    Peace!

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.