Friday, March 28, 2008

I Was Wrong: Kaua'i Rocks!

I've now changed my mind and like Kaua'i better than Maui, because today I went swimming at Lydgate Park, which has a protected ocean pool for swimming and beginning snorkelers. I didn't have snorkel gear with me, but I did have my vision-corrected swim goggles, which worked fine; I just came up when I needed to breathe.

There were lots of fish! I was in the middle of a school of them at one point. Several different kinds, too: blue-and-yellow striped fish, and black fish, and silvery fish, and a larger blue-and-silvery one. They were beautiful, and I loved swimming with them.

This is why I came to Hawai'i.

Tomorrow we're going to try snorkeling in earnest at another park, but being able to walk into the water right off the beach and see beautiful fish sold me on the island.

Also, we took a nice hike today, and did some excellent shopping, and ate a very fine Italian dinner. So I'm very happy.

The only downside is that I woke up with a nasty rash on my left calf. I don't know if it's from a bugbite or from sun, but it's red and itchy and ugly. First aid cream has stopped the itching, though, and I'm keeping a careful eye on it to make sure it doesn't get bigger or suddenly start sprouting streaks.

Tomorrow we have a reservation to tour some botanical gardens, and we have to leave insanely early, so I'd better get to bed!


  1. Glad you're warming up to Kaua'i, Susan! That swimming sounds like such a good time! And those were great pics in your previous post!

    Hooboo says, "Susan if you caught a rash instead of dinner, during your swim, I need to send you fishing tips."

    Peace! Hope! & Joy!

  2. debraji7:28 AM

    I'm with you on the snorkeling! I recently got to go to the Caribbean and snorkel for the first time in twenty years, and it was every bit as wonderful as I'd remembered.

    Have a wonderful time.

  3. Great to discover paradise, isn't it?! For more on this beautiful place,


Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.