Friday, March 14, 2008

That Time of Year


When I looked back over previous blog entries, I realized that my hissy fit about this week's shift closely mirrors another gnarly situation at the hospital, almost exactly a year ago.

This time around, I think I did a better job controlling my outward demeanor, so I guess I've made progress.

Both shifts were the last before a vacation, and my fatigue was clearly showing. At the end of my shift this week (which ran overtime because of the code), I said goodbye to a few ED folks and mentioned that I wouldn't be back for three weeks.

"Oh," said one of the nurses, "where are you going?"

"Hawai'i!" I said. "Don't you all hate me right now?" They laughed. (Actually, next week I'll still be here, but I have too much to do at work and church to get to the hospital. The following week, though, I'll be in Kaua'i.)

Another nurse sniffed, rolled his eyes, and said, "Oh, I thought you were going to do mission work in Iraq or something."

Nope. I'm going to lie on the beach and be a vegetable. But first, I have to get through this next week.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.