Saturday, March 15, 2008

Top o' the World


Figaro is our most intrepid and athletic cat, able to leap to the top of tall bookcases in a single bound. He also likes balancing on any high, narrow surface, and particularly enjoys walking across the top of doors.

Last night he scaled the peg-rack in the bedroom -- a simple task, because there are lots of sweaters and bathrobes for him to cling to on the way up -- and then pondered the problem of transferring himself to the bedroom door. He's done that plenty of times before, but this time the task defeated him, maybe because Gary had hung a pair of slacks to dry over the door, and Figgy wasn't sure he'd have sufficiently stable footing. Mewing piteously, he spent a few minutes pacing back and forth on the peg-rack, occasionally extending a paw towards the top of the door, before he thought better of the whole enterprise and scampered back down again, scattering sweaters and bathrobes on the rug.

This is one of those times when we wish we had a video camera. Figgy's Mountaineering Adventure would have made a great YouTube.

As always, click on the thumbnail above to enlarge.

4 comments:

  1. I love that vaguely petulant look of annoyance on his face. "I can't believe someone left his pants on my door. The nerve."

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, the poor baby! He actually expects one of you to take the pants down for him. Susan, I hope you hugged him lots after he went to all that work and got disappointed. Give him a hug for me, ok?

    Joy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. NB -- Yes, he was very cross with us! But he knows we're not very bright, so he always forgives us eventually.

    Lee -- Well, I'm kinda afraid we, um, giggled at him. Cruel, I know. But we always hug him lots, when he lets us. This morning he condescended to sit on my lap for a little while, a rare sign of favor.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ah...Figgy sounds like he has Hyram's temperament. Hyram deigns to let me hold him. Usually I have to "catch" him. Heaven forbid he should jump on my lap for a good back scratch. (g)

    Joy!

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.