Saturday, March 08, 2008

Dribs and Drabs


Yeah, I know, I've been really bad about posting, but that's because -- true to March's reputation as Hell Month -- I've been Beyond Busy. And yes, a lot of it's my own fault for procrastinating. But still.

The good news:

In two weeks, we leave for Kaua'i!

We've already booked Spring Break in Cabo for next year. Wheeee! This means that Gary and I have to get new passports, since our old ones are long, long expired. The U.S. State Department site says their turnaround time is 4-6 weeks, though, so we have time.

Questions: I've never been to Mexico. We'll be staying at a nice resort, so I'm assuming we won't have to worry about the water there -- and we'll drink bottled water elsewhere, and avoid ice and raw food like salad -- but I read a travel health site that advised people going to Mexico to get typhoid and Hepatitis A shots. Nobody I know who's gone there has done that, though (at least, not if they were going to a cosmopolitan place like Cabo). Does anyone have any tips on this either way? When I was eight, my family went to England and rural Ireland for three weeks, and we did get typhoid shots, and they made all of us sleep for something like twelve hours. I'd rather avoid that if possible.

Knitting news: My friend Alex and his wife Maia love the shawl I sent him for his birthday. I've asked him to send me a photo of him wearing it, so when I get that, I'll post it. Also, I'm almost done with my cousin Val's feather-and-fan shawl: I hope to finish it tomorrow or Monday.

What else? Oh, this week's hospital shift was busy, but spiritually fairly uneventful. We had a critical patient, but the family asked for a priest and wanted nothing to do with me (whether because I'm female or a volunteer or both, I don't know). I got more exercise than usual, though, because the hospital's being remodelled, and Fast Track is now approximately five miles from the main ED. Okay, that's an exaggeration, but I did a lot of walking! Spiffy new quarters, though.

One of the social workers from last week greeted me very warmly, and when I apologized for being so wound up about the domestic-violence case, she tut-tutted me and said I'd been fine. So that was reassuring. And I got to give cute toys to cute kids, which is always a pleasure. (One of the nurses said, "I think you have more fun than the kids do," and I said, "Well, I certainly hope so, since I'm not sick, don't have needles stuck in me, and don't have to stay in bed!" She laughed.)

And that's about all the news. I'll try to be better about posting, but I'm not promising anything!

2 comments:

  1. 4-6 months is closer to reality. Start now.

    Never got those shots, nor I believe did Shira (who has gone to Mexico multiple times).

    Otoh, after we went to PR a few years ago, the question started coming up every time I gave blood--apparently, they had a problem period about six or seven months after we went.

    Unless you believe you're particularly susceptible to either, I wouldn't bother doing it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's up to you, but it is a real risk. Not probably a huge risk, but a real one.

    You might have some leftover immunity from your prior typhoid shot. Technically, you need a booster, but you probably have a little protection.

    Hepatitis A vaccine usually is a two-dose thing, so you might not have time to get them both. Two doses will grant you lifelong immunity. That said, 40-70% of people in the U.S. (according to the WHO) have been exposed the virus at some point, so have some protection (probably not enough, though).

    Of the two diseases, Typhoid is more dangerous but less common. Hepatitis A can be an acute horridness, but is not usually fatal and does not become chronic (so you can't get cirrhosis or cancer from it). Both wouldn't show up until after you get back.

    If you're careful about water, ice and raw produce (or at least how the veggies are washed), you're probably fine. But if you're planning on going out into the countryside, etc, you'll probably want the vaccines.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.