Thursday, June 14, 2007

Technology Upgrade


Gary, bless his heart, set up his old flatscreen for me today. It's indeed much easier on my eyes, although I had to rearrange my desk significantly to make room for it.

I'll be even happier when I get my new chair. My arthritic knee has been unhappy today, and my back's been acting up, too. Nothing that's kept me from functioning, but I'm really looking forward to getting the chair!

There's some hospital news, but I'm too tired to post it right now. I'll do that tomorrow.

My mission at the moment, should I choose to accept it, is to veg out by watching Scrubs (thank you, Netflix!) and eating popcorn.

Okay, here's today's discussion question. It's summer, and I'm not teaching. So why do I feel more busy, tired and overwhelmed than I do when I am teaching? My guess is that having to create my own schedule, rather than having one imposed on me by the workplace, ups the pressure. Whatever the explanation, I'd really love to find some way to be insanely productive over the next two months while also feeling relaxed.

And world peace would be nice, too.

1 comment:

  1. Anonymous5:56 AM

    Why is the summer sometimes more stressful than the semester? When I ask myself this question, I come up with two suggestions -

    1. if I'm not getting things done during the semester, I can always blame it on the semester's obligations - but once the semester is over the only person I can usually find to blame is myself. Self-blame is incredibly stressful.

    2. if I can't get something done during the semester, I always promise that I'll get it done over the summer - but since I seldom review my list of summer projects as it expands, I usually end up with an impossibly long list of things to do. Over-work is incredibly stressful.

    The happy news is that all that stress can become unnecessary with practice. The advice your friend gave you for combatting depression will also work for combatting these sorts of stress - shift the focus from what is wrong to what is right, and there will always be something to feel proud of accomplishing. Or, alternatively, you could try one of my best friend's advice to me whenever I get particularly stressed out myself: "it's not important to be successful, it's important to be faithful."

    Pat yourself on the back, enjoy some good food and some great sleep, and have a wonderful summer whatever you do or don't do,

    Jean

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.