Thursday, June 07, 2007

Majorly Bummed


Someone from the Art Museum called yesterday to say that the clay course has been canceled; the instructor had to go out of town for a family emergency. They're sending me a refund check.

I'm really disappointed. I was so looking forward to the class, and I haven't found anything else that's quite comparable: there are some drawing/painting courses, but I'd really wanted to work in three dimensions, and the class was going to be my summer treat to myself. And it's not like I have a wheel and kiln at home.

No clay for me this summer. Nertz!

I'll figure something out. In the meantime, last night I drew a prayer for Doug Henry to be found, with some ratty old colored pencils I have. Tonight I'll probably draw a prayer for my friend Tim, who's in the hospital.

Or maybe I'll learn to knit. Tim told me about his prayer shawl, made by a woman at our church: he loves it, because when he wears it he can feel the love and prayer that went into it. I can't quite see knitting with cats around, though, and knitting doesn't have that grownup-mudpuddle aspect that was so appealing about the clay.

On the plus side, yesterday I printed out all the sonnets and started editing them, and also went to an event at the medical school about medicine and spirituality where I got to meet some interesting people. And the sun's finally out! It's been rainy and cloudy here, and yesterday was so cool that I wore a fall sweater. I'm glad summer's come back!

7 comments:

  1. Well, I agree that clay does have the messy fun aspect but knitting is great and I do it with 4 cats around and a dog. The hardest part is keeping the hair from getting knitted up in the project-my cats don't really play around in the yarn, but 3 of them are pretty geriatric. Knitting is very meditative too.

    I am praying that they find your friend. I can't imagine what his wife is going through-I worry when my husband comes home late.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Here there's a studio open to WI Student Union members (including fac/staff) that you can pay a summer fee for access to. They have a kiln, and I think you can buy clay from them.

    Maybe UNR has something like that? It's not as cool as a class, but you could probably find an online tutorial for the kiln part of things......

    Otherwise, knitting is great, and you could always take up the fine art of making sculptures out of Wonderbread......

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous3:58 PM

    I have just come across your blog, and I first want to thank you for making your thoughts public.

    I think, though, that I can help you out with your clay class problem. The Michaels on Los Altos and Pyramid is about to begin an adult clay class. The instructor also teaches other courses throughout Reno and Sparks. If you'd like further details, I'd be happy to get you in touch with the instructor or with the Michaels staff.

    Have a nice summer, with or without a clay class!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't know if this is your cup of tea, but the National Riding for the Handicapped Association (NARHA) is always on the lookout for adult volunteers. You would be working with riders - in my experience most are children - who use being around horses - grooming and riding them - as therapy. You don't have to know a single thing about horses to volunteer.

    As I have absolutely zero artistic/craft knowledge, I'm sorry that I can't offer any alternatives. But there is always the kitchen and bread-making (thinking of kneading dough and making loaf shapes). Or contacting a potter or sculptor privately for lessons? Maybe someone could use a little extra income? I dunno....

    ReplyDelete
  5. TC: Thank you for the prayers!

    Alexis: Good suggestion about UNR, especially since Gary would never permit Wonderbread in the house.

    Anon: Yes, I would like details! E-mail me, please (you'll find the e-mail address in my profile).

    N=1: All I know about horses is that they scare me because they're so big! And I've got my volunteering covered with the hospital . . . I'm really looking for a place to make stuff. But thanks for the suggestion! I've met people who work with that program, and they love it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. My cats have never bothered my knitting.

    There's a whole ministry around prayer shawls (and knitted/crocheted blankets and hats). You make one, other knitters pray over it, and it's given to someone in need, usually someone with a serious medical problem.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks, Berni! Several people now have said that cats and knitting mix fine. I'm still searching for clay, though!

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.