Friday, June 01, 2007

Doug Henry


Yesterday at the hospital, I saw a missing-person flyer. I kept looking at the photo and looking at the name and thinking, wait, I know this person, don't I? How do I know this person?

Today, with the help of our church c-mail list and a phone call from a friend, I figured it out. Doug and his wife Beth go to my church, although to a different service than the one I usually attend. He left for work on May 21 and hasn't been seen since, and according to the friend who called me, there's been no activity on credit or bank cards -- and it would be completely out of character for him to run off. He and Beth have been married less than a year; they adore each other. He has children and grandchildren.

Here's the article that ran in the paper.

I suspect I didn't recognize the name and face on the flyer yesterday because they were out of context. Also, maybe my brain was protecting me from information that would have been too upsetting in the middle of a shift. It was a pretty quiet shift, but worrying about Doug wouldn't have helped me deal with patients.

Beth's having a prayer vigil at her house tonight. I'll be there. I can't even imagine what she must be going through right now. When I try to think about it, I feel as if all the oxygen has been sucked out of my lungs.

Please pray for Doug and Beth and their family.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Susan:

    I read this and didn't know how to respond. Unexplained disappearances are the absolute worst because they conjure up all of the fears of the unknown. He and his family are in my thoughts.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Susan,

    Nice looking fellow! How was the prayer circle? I really hope they find him but I fear the worst. Makes me hurt for your friend Beth. May God keep her, return her to joy, and grant her peace.

    Hope!

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.