Saturday, June 23, 2007


Well, I like the ergonomic chair so much that I got one of these funky ergonomic keyboards. It takes a little getting used to, but I think I'll love it once I've adjusted.

I also got a cool glass computer cart to replace the folding tray table I have been using. The idea is that all the computer stuff will live there, so it can all be easily moved when we have company, since my office is also the guest bedroom.

Hear that, Liz? I'm trying to entice my sister into visiting this summer, so I've been bombarding her with incentives. Latest incentive: all the computer stuff will be out of the guest bedroom! You'll have lots of room for your stuff! Except in the closet, which is still a disaster! But if you come out here, I'll work on that, too!

I'll easily be able to unplug Vera from all the various extras when we travel. I still have to use Vera's pointer system, since there's nowhere to plug in a mouse, but that's not much of a problem.

All of this, of course, is Writerly Procrastination Strategy #592: When the writing isn't coming, revamp the office for maximum productivity! And then, if you still aren't productive, you have no one to blame but yourself! But in the meantime, you can spend hours or days revamping, and still feel virtuous!

Reorganizing the house for guests is another such strategy.

Those of you who write will recognize these strategies, I'm sure, and probably have your own variations on them.

The second chapter of November has a serious case of Expository Lumpitude, and I have to do something to turn it into an actual narrative that people will want to, like, read. I worked for about an hour this morning before realizing that the chapter needs major surgery, at which point I had a sudden failure of energy and took a two-hour nap. (Naps are a very popular procrastination strategy.) Then I went to the gym. Then we went shopping for office furniture. With all these procrastination strategies, it's a wonder I ever write anything.

The good news is that I realized that the second chapter needs major surgery; the bad news is that I have to do it.

In the meantime, I'm revamping the office. Wheeee!


  1. Hey, my last fiction procrastination resulted in a Ph.D!

  2. Yes, I took that approach too (which is one reason Shelter took so long).

  3. I thought I procrastinated my self-publishing because I was a college student, I had no idea other writers did this! Thanks for the enlightenment, and good lluck with your writing!

  4. Anonymous3:58 PM

    procrastinatio! wow, in the last week i've cleaned my office, the garage, got up at 5 AM and worked for 3 hours in the yard, went to the Salvation Army and also donated books to the library.

    why, i'm way too tired to write.


Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.