Friday, November 30, 2007

Well, They Can't All Be Winners

I finished the laptop sleeve. It's cute -- if you like things that look really, really handmade (Gary, diplomatically, said, "I like it; it's funky," to which I responded, "Yeah, it's the laptop-cover version of Jayne's Hat") -- but it doesn't work very well for its intended purpose, because it's a bit too slippery to hold. I'd be afraid of dropping the computer if I tried to travel with it.

Nertz. And it's such nice wool, too.

Oh well. At least the project gave me practice at decreasing and making buttonholes. That will teach me to strike out on my own as a beginner, instead of following a pattern!


  1. Hmmm...I'm not sure the lesson to be learned here is to not strike out on your own. Maybe considering the practicality of a project? No lesson learned is ever wasted and you are to be commended for having the courage to try things beyond your level of experience. Few do that. I know I find it daunting.


  2. Anonymous5:56 AM

    do you have a note book it can cover? can you turn it into a storage pouch for knitting needles? It doesn't have to remain a failed laptop cover; it can become the perfect something else.

  3. is it currently felted? if not, you might felt it (although there will be buttonhole problems) and then regard it as a test for a felted laptop cover. i think that'd be slightly grippier, and you could always put rubber cement on the inside in spots.

  4. Thanks for the suggestions, Inez and Betsy! It's not felted, no, and I don't think I want to do that, but I'll try to find some other use for it.

    I'd originally been planning to felt it, but didn't because I found the garter stitch texture so pleasing. Now I think I should have. Oh well!

    I've seen several patterns for knit laptop covers, so it must be possible for them to work well.


Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.