Tuesday, November 20, 2007

Knitting the Hard Way

Today I took the Knitting Disaster over to Katharine's house -- I didn't have time yesterday -- and she, miracle worker that she is, fixed it for me.

She also informed me that I've been knitting the wrong way this whole time. Turns out I've been knitting onto the back of every stitch, a technique that's used in some advanced projects, but one that makes the process slower and more difficult.

The good news is that I managed to complete two projects not only knitting the hard way, but using cruddy yarn. Also, Lee got her shawl today and sounds very happy with it. I'm hoping she'll send me a picture of herself wearing it!

The bad news is that I feel, well, kind of stupid. Katharine said, "But you taught yourself, just from pictures!" I went back and looked at the pictures, and sure enough, they showed the right way of doing it.

So I taught myself badly from pictures.

Sigh. Can't take me anywhere. Have I mentioned that I'm really bad at learning new physical skills?

In other news, I've been insanely busy at work, which is why my posting's been erratic. I'll try to be better from now on, honest. At all sorts of things!


  1. If you're going to have a long and satisfying career as a knitter, you need to learn this mantra: "It's not wrong, it's a design feature!"

    To make yourself feel better, or at least to have some company in your misery, check out my latest blog entry--I've gone feral!

  2. on the plus side, if you ever need to do the advanced project with the special knitting technique, you are now a pro!

  3. Susan,

    Good for you! You conquered an advanced skill early! My shawl looks beautiful, btw! What you learn next is going to be so simple in comparison that you'll probably be rewarded with success quicker. (g)


  4. Ah, bless!

    Darling, there's no such thing as 'the wrong way' in creative works. There's just finished and work-in-progress.

  5. You taught yourself to knit? That is talent!


Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.