Tuesday, November 13, 2007

Grand Rounds, and Other Stuff

This week's Grand Rounds is up. Thanks for including me, Dr. A!

Yesterday at the gym, I ran into a friend from the medical school who's a therapist. We got to talking about depression, including mine, and she asked if I'd be willing to talk to one of her medical-school classes about depression in January. I said that of course I would. It was a very heartening conversation; part of me always feels as if I'm being whiny and boring when I talk about this stuff -- although I do it anyway, obviously! -- but if whining allows me to help future doctors better understand the subjective experience of the illness, something good will have come out of it.

Fittingly enough, we also talked about the spiritual and medical importance of turning brokenness into gift. My friend's Jewish, so for her the image of that is the breaking of challah bread at sabbat services, while for me it's the breaking of the bread in the eucharist. The bread can't feed people until it's broken, and the great challenge for all of us, whatever is happening in our lives, is to discern ways to transform the broken pieces of our lives into blessings for others.

And now for the sad news: this morning I got e-mail from Sharon that her husband Bill died on Sunday. She and her family must be feeling broken right now, and I pray that they will be able to find blessing and comfort.


  1. Amen, Susan! May Sharon and her family find God's peace.

    In Jesus' Name

  2. Anonymous11:38 AM

    Delurking to say how much I enjoy your posts (and how much I love it when two of my blogworlds collide, and thoughtful-bloggers-about- spirituality become knitbloggers!)

    Do you know Leonard Cohen's song _Anthem_? The chorus lyrics remind me of your observations on brokenness:

    "Forget your perfect offering
    There is a crack in everything
    That's how the light gets in."


  3. Thanks for the link!


Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.