Thursday, May 29, 2008

Yesterday and This Morning


Yesterday turned out to be an amazingly good day. I felt well the entire time, although I'm still keeping myself quarantined from my beloved hubby because of alarming reports about delayed onset of this virus. I read about a day-and-a-half's worth of Lit&Med material -- fascinating stuff -- and knit. And (drumroll, please!) I got back to work on Driving to November! One thing that happened during the "Narrative and Politics" panel is that I got an idea of how to restructure the book, and that's made me excited about working on it for the first time in forever. We'll see how long this lasts, but in the meantime, I can't describe how relieved I am. Maybe I'm actually going to be a writer again?

In the meantime, Pat Murphy e-mailed me to ask for more info about narrative medicine (this link is outdated, but I can't seem to find a more current one), and Timmi Duchamp e-mailed everyone on the N&P panel to ask us to contribute essays to an anthology on the subject. She wants mine to be about narrative and healing. Hey, I can do that!

Because I felt so well, I decided to go ahead with my double procedure, which Josh Lukin has very amusingly dubbed a "both-ends-oscopy," complete with image of the two scopes meeting in the middle -- presumably somewhere in the region of my navel -- falling in love, and mating. Now there's an SF concept for you! Josh and I had an excellent e-conversation this morning about the N&P panel and disability studies. (Josh is a lecturer in English at Temple University and the editor of several volumes of literary criticism, but I can't seem to find a website for him, so I haven't provided a link. Sorry about that. Josh, if there's a link you want me to use, please let me know!)

Gary's fetched my prep kit from the drugstore; now I have to put up with today's dreaded all-liquid diet, not to mention tomorrow morning's 6 a.m. (because my procedure's after noon) prep. I expect yesterday's energy to flag considerably, but I'll keep plugging away on projects while I can!

One of yesterday's epiphanies was that writing, reading and knitting make for a pretty perfect day. But then, if I'd thought about it, I'd already have known that.

More later, if I have time and energy. Turns out an ugly situation arose at Wiscon this year, and I have thoughts about it. But I want to work on the book first, while I'm reasonably sure I can still form sentences.

7 comments:

  1. Anonymous10:51 AM

    Susan,

    Forget Wiscon for now and go with positive stuff. It's been a long time since you felt material coing to you on this project.

    So saith Sharon

    ReplyDelete
  2. Susan,

    Yay! I'm thrilled that you have your writing bug back. Hope to hear more about that soon. And I'm glad you are feeling better.

    I don't envy you the double procedure, even with the fun image. How you can face forcing yourself to have that after being so sick is beyond me. You must be made of really stern stuff when it comes to medical procedures. Hope you've set yourself up for a really nice treat after the procedures are done. Your digestive system and spirit will certainly deserve it.

    Hope! & Joy!
    Lee

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sharon: Wise words; thank you!

    Lee: Ha! Well, you know, it's really just more of the same: liquid diet and lots of trips to the loo. Better to get it all over with at once, and then have the joy of going back to solid food, then to get over the illness, get completely back to normal, and then have to do the liquid-diet-etc. all over again for the prep.

    The procedures themselves are nothing. I conk right out on drugs.

    My treat will be solid food. And coffee again! Tea just doesn't cut it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. God bless you over the next 24 hours. I went through the peri-optic purge myself earlier this year. You have my prayers and my empathy.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi again, Susan. I agree with Sharon --Liz, Tempest, Claire, Betsy, Micole, and others are doing great work on the Rachel Moss Problem; but only you can write your book!

    I don't have a website, true. Feel free to link to one of my recent posts at the Aqueduct blog or to the Amazon entry for _Invisible Suburbs_ or to my "Black Disability Studies" newsletter article. I would absolutely love for Google searches on me to prioritize other things than ratemyprofessors!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Josh -- I can't even GET to ratemyprofessors these days. Did the site shut down?

    I'd love to link to the BDS article, but you sent it to me as a file, and I can't seem to find it on the web -- any tips?

    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.