Tuesday, May 20, 2008

Lots of Reunions


On Sunday night, we had a delicious and lively sushi dinner with old friends. A waiter took this photo of the group. I'm the strange person in the celtic t-shirt (I wish I photographed better!). The woman to my left is our friend Ruth, whom I've known since 1978; she and I were in the same freshman dorm in college. Gary's on my right, and next to him is our friend Ken, who threw the 1989 party at which Gary and I met. Ken's wife Shira, across the table, was one of my fellow New York Review of Science Fiction staffers; I believe that I was the person who suggested to Ken that he join the magazine, which means that I'm indirectly responsible for his meeting Shira. (Ken, please correct me if I'm wrong on that!) Cuddling against Shira's left side is their gorgeous little girl Valerie; on her right is their equally gorgeous, but less visible in this photo, little girl Rosie.

There was a lot of history at that table!

Yesterday, Gary and I had lunch with John Shorb, my editor for a new faith-and-health newsletter project. (I'll post links to that when it goes live.) John and I had communicated by phone and e-mail, and I liked him just as much in person as I'd expected.

Yesterday evening, Gary and I took his parents out for a Mother's Day/Father's Day dinner. We all had a great time and ate lots of good food.

Today, Gary and I went into Manhattan to have lunch with Kay, my literary agent. I hadn't seen her for several years, and it was wonderful to get together. (The meal was great, too!) Afterwards, Gary and I visited my friend Roger, whom I've known since 1983. He was my boss when I was supporting myself doing part-time word-processing, and we've stayed friends ever since. He's retired now and has multiple health issues, so I'm always glad to have the chance to see him. We had fun catching up.

After we left Roger's, Gary and I had dinner at Dallas BBQ, one of our favorite old hangouts. Good, simple grub, inexpensive and well-cooked. Food's been a major theme of this trip, as you can tell!

Tomorrow we're getting together with my cousin Jim and his daughter Maggie; we also hope to see Jim's father, my mom's brother, who'll have just arrived back home from Egypt (he's an entomologist and flies all over the world studying bees). I also need to do laundry at Gary's parents' place tomorrow, if I'm going to have anything to wear at WisCon!

So we've had a busy but very social and pleasant time. I'm really looking forward to WisCon; I think Gary's looking forward to getting home and seeing the cats again. And we're both looking forward to being in places with better weather. We love New York, but it's poured on and off since we've been here.

2 comments:

  1. "I believe that I was the person who suggested to Ken that he join the magazine, which means that I'm indirectly responsible for his meeting Shira. (Ken, please correct me if I'm wrong on that!)"

    The correction would be that I recall meeting Shira in 1991 at the Nebs. Otoh, she says she met me several years later, on NYRSF.

    So, yes, you're still responsible, but the phrase should be "for Shira meeting him."

    Nice to know Roger is still around; my memory is that he had multiple health issues when you were married (and left the reception slightly early because of them).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ken -- I think you're thinking of our friend Michael, who died in 1996. Roger was at the wedding too; he was the one wearing the WWI uniform.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.