Thursday, May 08, 2008

My WisCon Schedule

I'm on fewer panels than I wanted to be -- somehow I missed the preliminary sign-up and had to be squeezed in at the last minute -- but these look like they'll be interesting, and I'll be talking with some very accomplished people!

Title: What Can't We Forgive?

" SF/F fans can be forgiving sorts; we'll let violations of physical laws go by without too much notice, permit battles with armies too large to be supported by their populations, and so on. What won't we forgive and read on? Some people won't forgive Orson Scott his personal politics, while some won't forgive the moral worldview of his fiction. Some won't forgive Anne McCaffrey her tent-peg hypothesis, while others won't let Heinlein get away with any of a wide variety of sins. Some people can't forgive China Mieville's preaching, or Samuel R. Delany's depictions of underage sex. Where do people draw the line, either with regards to an author's work or their personal behavior, and what does it mean when we can't forgive? "
Saturday, 4:00-5:15 P.M.
Capitol A

M: Steven Schwartz
Susan Palwick
Judith Moffett
Ian Hagemann
Vylar Kaftan

Title: Narrative and Politics

"A group of writers discuss the politics of narrative. How does narrative reinforce traditional notions of power and identity? How does it challenge them? If you don't want to tell the same story as before, how do you need to change the structure of what you write?"
Sunday, 10:00-11:15 A.M.

M: L. Timmel Duchamp
Susan Palwick
Carolyn Gilman
Pat Murphy
Eileen Gunn


  1. This sounds fascinating, Susan. Especially the one about what we can and can't forgive. I've never appreciated Heinlein's Job, it went against my religious beliefs and was just too crazy and mixed together to feel real. Much as I loved the rest of his works, the last book or so that he wrote seemed like a hash of bits of previous plots and no real story at all.


  2. I love the first panel! I hope it's not opposite something else I really want to do then, because I would like to attend this one.

  3. Jeff Smith10:29 PM

    They both sound great; I hope I can see them both. I myself am on zero panels this year, which is the way I prefer it.

  4. Berni and Jeff, I'll look forward to seeing you! And Lee, I hope you can come to WisCon sometime, too.

  5. Anonymous4:46 AM

    Forgiveness - one of the world's toughest topics. Please do let us know what you say and what you hear in and around that panel on that topic!

    And have a great time,



Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.