Tuesday, May 06, 2008

Chicago, Here I Come! With a Rare Family Find!

In June, I'll be going to Chicago for a training institute in the Literature & Medicine program, which a med-school colleague and I will be trying to start here within the next year. It's an exciting idea, and I really hope we can get it off the ground.

Meanwhile, I'm looking forward to the conference. I have to say that part of the draw is that the conference accomodations are less than a mile from The Art Institute of Chicago. My grandfather, Jerome Rozen, and his twin brother George were both students there, and later taught there. The school's where they met their wives, who were also both artists. So it's a big piece of family history, but I've never been. I can't wait to go!

Doing a search on Jerome, I just found this picture of him, taken in 1985, two years before he died. He and George painted a lot of covers for magazines like The Shadow; late in life, he was commissioned to recreate some of his and George's covers by Anthony Tollin, who took this photo. In the picture, Jerome's holding up a Shadow cover painting and another for Doc Savage.

I'd never seen this photo before, and it moves me very much. I remember watching Jerome painting the recreations in his garage, and I remember meeting the Tollins at his funeral. I miss Jerome, as I suspect everyone does who knew him. He was an incredibly sweet and generous man, and very much the patriarch of our extended family.

Wow. What a wonderful find!


  1. Susan, that is such a cool story about your grandfather and great uncle. I hadn't realized that the covers to comic books were done by someone other than the comic creator. I'm guessing that you don't have any of your grandfather's paintings. It would be cool, in my NSHO, to have a comic book cover that he did framed and on your wall. :)

    Have fun in Chicago! It's a place I want to visit too someday.


  2. Anonymous8:09 AM

    Holy crap! How cool is THAT??! Your grandfather and his brother painted The Shadow and Doc Savage, among others! I LOVE those old Shadow covers. I've got a book on great pulp magazine covers, and I take it out every once in a while and linger over the Shadow stuff. This is too cool for words.

    Jeff P.

    P.S. Hope you have fun in Chicago.

  3. Thanks, Lee!

    Jeff -- Yes, it's very cool! I always tell people I come by my genre leanings honestly. Let me guess: is the book you have the one by Robert Lesser? If so, it includes a family photo of Jerome and George.


Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.