Friday, January 25, 2008

Mom Update

The ER staff told Mom she has pneumonia -- bacterial, according to one of her nurses -- but two respiratory doctors said they aren't sure about that diagnosis and want to make sure her cancer hasn't come back.

Either way, this isn't great news.

She's on two antibiotics plus steroids, and she'll be given insulin because the steroids wreak havoc with blood sugar. When I talked to her, she sounded worn down from very little sleep; the ER's quiet, evidently, but of course people were waking her up every two seconds last night to do tests. They're working on getting her a bed upstairs.

Her voice cracked a little when she mentioned the cancer possibility. I really, really hope it's just pneumonia. ("Just" pneumonia: oy!)

Gary's shoveling our driveway, since it snowed here last night. I'll be leaving shortly to swim and then go to three meetings at work. This is one of those times when I'm grateful for cell phones, because I can stay in touch with Mom and Liz.

I just realized that today's also the anniversary of her sobriety: she's been sober for forty-four years. My mom's a trouper!


  1. Oh Susan! Praying for your mom here. And a huge congrats to her for 44 years sober!! She is a miracle and a true inspiration.

    You and your family will be in my thoughts.

  2. Congrats to your mother on her 44 years of sobriety; that is wonderful! And prayers for the state of her lungs.


Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.