Saturday, January 12, 2008

Catching Up


I'm back home, trying to catch up on things and get ready for school. This morning, Gary looked very sad and said, "My favorite blogger hasn't posted lately," so I thought I should rectify that . . . not, mind you, that I have a tremendous amount to say.

The good news:

We're going to Kauai over spring break! Our friend Katharine got a timeshare from the waitlist.

My friend and former student Inez is going to be at WisCon this year, and she's bringing some yarn for me!

My trip home was uneventful, and everything fit into my luggage fine, and because the TSA folks once again graciously ignored my knitting supplies, I got a bunch done on my mother-in-law's shawl.

The bad news:

Airfare to Kauai is terrifyingly expensive: the cheapest I could find when I did a quick Expedia search last night was $1080 roundtrip from Reno. Cough, cough, choke. We're still going, but I'd rather not spend that much. Does anyone have a lead on less expensive airfare?

I'm still not back at work on the fourth novel.

Because I'm still not back at work on the fourth novel, my psychiatrist has bumped up my meds again, on the theory that either a) the old, low dose wasn't actually doing anything, and a higher dose should give me more motivation, or b) the old, low dose was suppressing my creativity, and a higher dose will make things even worse -- does not blogging count? -- in which case we'll switch me to something else. Ho hum. This actually happened before I left for Philly, but I was too bummed to post about it.

In any case, I now have yet another reason (as if I needed more) to get back to work on the fourth novel: so my very nice shrink will stop fussing with my brain chemistry.

Grrr, arrrgh.

6 comments:

  1. I did a fair amount of desperate price searching when shopping for tickets to Seattle over Christmas, and the thing that finally brought the price down more than two hundred dollars a ticket, other than being flexible about dates, was ticking the box on Priceline that said I was willing to fly overnight. I guess a lot of folks are unwilling to do red-eyes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Welcome back, Susan! I'm glad you had a good trip. Sounds like you have a fun summer planned. Looking forward to hearing the details. :)

    Peace!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Depression makes writing so hard. I'm sorry that's happening for you right now, and I truly hope that lifts and you can feel better.

    ReplyDelete
  4. kayak.com is an amazing site. I'm not sure exactly when your spring break is, but I'm seeing mid-March flights as low as $550 roundtrip, Reno to Kauai. It's my favourite flight search engine.

    I'm sorry to hear about the medication. I've got different brain issues, but I hate that feeling like I'm not in charge of my own head. I hope the adjustment is helpful and worth the upset.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks, everybody!

    We've now booked the tickets -- for *gulp* more than my original figure, because every time I checked the listings, the "lowest fare" had gone up. Scary stuff.

    But we're lucky to be able to do this, so we're going. Yippee!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous2:08 PM

    The fear of going back on medication was the major reason I didn't go for help with my latest bout until I was (figuratively) frog marched to the surgery. I was put on citalopram and switched to fluoxatine, and neither seem to have affected my writing (progess there is one of the reasons I seem able to deal with the black dog sufficientlyv well to return to work after 6 months away) Prozac the last time slammed the door shut on my imagination. The cure was worse than the complaint.

    All best wishes and prayers for the restoration of normal writing service.

    Martyn

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.