Thursday, January 03, 2008

Happy Birthday, JRRT!

My friend Rick Michaelson reminded me that today is JRR Tolkien's birthday. He was born in 1892.

Everyone should celebrate by eating some lembas, admiring a tree, or (best of all!) rereading The Lord of the Rings. I'm sure Tolkien himself would have advocated a good smoke, but I prefer healthier options.

A nice rich birthday cake, on the other hand . . . .


  1. Happy Birthday, JRRT!!!

    Susan, thank you for reminding us. With my poor memory I had to go looking up lembas but once I did all the times it was mentioned in the stories came back. :) Then I went to see if anyone had come up with a recipe. Some clever Tolkien lover had based on hints the descriptions give us. You can find that recipe and reasoning here. The recipe called for orange flower water which I'd never heard of but Amazon carries it and it sounds wonderful and useful. The recipe said it could be made on a waffle iron so I suspect it could be made in large batches and frozen for later eating just like frozen waffles. I'm thinking this has to be tried someday. Does Gary cook elven cuisine?


  2. David Harmon5:58 PM

    Got a decent recipe for lembas? ;-)


Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.