Wednesday, July 18, 2007

Scattered Updates, With Smoke


Gary and I are frantically prepping for my mother and sister's arrival tomorrow. Actually, he's methodically prepping, as he's been doing all week: I'm the frantic one, and I'm doing a pretty shoddy job on my small bits, but I trust my mother will forgive me. "Good enough" has to be good enough right now. (This is why Gary's the main housecleaning force around here: he actually does a thorough job.)

The fire's still going strong, about 2,500 acres and 5% contained, the last I heard, thanks to high winds. All kinds of super-duper firefighting forces are converging on Reno, and I wish them much luck. Where we are, most of the air looks clear, but it smells like smoke outside, and sometimes inside, too. Our house is okay, but the indoor pool at my gym smelled so smoky today that I got out of the water after fifteen minutes (but I worked out for an hour yesterday, so I don't feel too bad about it).

I spent all day at work today, and good things are happening: I'm making progress on my fall freshman-comp reading list! I'm getting a new computer on Friday! (I'm one of the last people in the department with an old CRT monitor, and it will be great to be rid of that thing.) I've been invited to give a small talk on narrative medicine to med students in the spring! Two colleagues were impressed with my new loveseat!

I also have new pictures of Harley, an interesting online-nostalgia trip to report, and a meme tag to respond to . . . and I'll get around to all of that eventually. At least, I think I will.

But at the moment, I really, really have to get back to dusting.

If I owe you e-mail, please be patient!

And if I don't blog every day for the next week or so, it will be because of the family visit.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.