Thursday, July 05, 2007

Assorted Treats


Gary and I just got back from seeing Ratatouille, the new Pixar movie. We thoroughly enjoyed it, and recommend it highly. It's very clever, so much so that we wondered if kids would be able to follow most of it, although a little girl in our row seemed to be having a wonderful time.

We also enjoyed being in efficient air conditioning, since Reno hit an all-time-high of 108 degrees today. Our house has AC, but the theater's was better. The nice thing about being in the desert, though, is that the temperature drops when the sun goes down, so it's always cool enough to sleep.

I learned today that my sister and mother are coming to visit! They're arriving two weeks from today and staying until the 30th. My sister hasn't been here for three years, and it's been even longer for my mother; we didn't know if Mom would ever feel up to traveling again, so I'm really thrilled that she's coming out. We've changed a lot of things in the house since she's been here, and she's never met Figaro or Bali. Her activities will be limited -- she needs a wheelchair to go anywhere, although she can manage stairs -- but at least she'll get a change of scenery.

My sister's planning to bring their wheelchair. Gary and I could rent one, and of course there are wheelchairs in airports, but Liz is worried about getting stranded without one. I think wheelchairs can probably be checked at the gate, right? Anyway, she's going to look into all of that and let us know if we need to rent one. And we're planning to get a stool or chair for the shower in the guest bathroom. Our stairs have a landing halfway down, and we may put a chair there so she can sit and rest if she needs to.

Gary's pleased that he has a good excuse to subscribe to the Times' daily crossword puzzle: he and my mother and sister enjoy doing crosswords together, although I've never acquired a taste for them. But my sister will play Scrabble with me; my mother finds it too slow, and Gary won't play with me because he says I always win (which isn't true: he's an excellent player and has beaten me lots of times).

Mom and Liz leave right before Gary and I leave for Mythcon, so I'm going to miss three weeks at the hospital. After next week, though, I'll have volunteered 500 hours, and that seems like a good time to take a break.

Finally, please don't forget that the next Carnival of Hope deadline is a week from today: Thursday June 12 at 5:00 PM PDT.

4 comments:

  1. Congratulations, Susan! This sounds exciting! I'm thrilled for you! Knowing how important this family visit is for you, I'm going to keep it in my prayers, just in case.

    Peace! Hope! & Joy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My wife and I saw Ratatouille on Tuesday and also thought it highly enjoyable and also wondered if small children would appreciate it, which apparently they did.

    (Then on the drive home we almost hit a bear in Washoe Valley!)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, Lee!

    Arthur: I wonder if bears were driven into the valley by the Angora fire?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous9:47 AM

    How truly excellent that your mother will be able to travel (and that reorganizing your space has apparently lured your sister out as well ...)!

    Hope you all have a great time together,

    Jean

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.