Friday, July 13, 2007

Carnival of Hope: Volume 1, Number 11

Welcome to the July Carnival of Hope! I'm late posting this month's edition because my husband and I were at a wonderful concert last night, and because we spent today organizing and decorating my new office at work. It's a great space, much more comofortable than my old digs -- thanks largely to the fact that I splurged on a loveseat -- and I'm really looking forward to spending time there. Today was an object lesson that something as simple as reorganizing our work space can give us new hope and energy.

Before we move on to this month's posts, here's the information about the August CoH: The carnival will be posted on Friday, August 10. The deadline for submissions is 5 PM PDT on Thursday, August 9. You can either use the BlogCarnival submission form or e-mail me directly at SusanPal at aol dot com.

Many of our posts this month celebrate the power of community. Marc and Angel pass on a friend's story of his favorite job ever: being a garbageman. "It’s not that I love the idea of being a garbage man, or even that I enjoyed picking up smelly bags of trash. I enjoyed the job because I loved hanging out with the guys I worked with."

In hard times, such as after the death of a loved one, community is especially important. Meredith Mathews shares her hope for healing after a profound loss, movingly describing the community of mourners for her Aunt Karen.

After telling us about Grieving at Christmas for her mother and her mom's holiday cookies, Susie gives us an affirming -- and delicious! -- epilog, thanks to caring neighbors.

For several months now, we've been following Esther Garvi's ups and downs as she deals with her own beloved mother's cancer. In The art of walking on water, she shares a wonderful message her mother received, followed by the gift of family.

Fathers count too, as Leticia Velasquez reminds us! "Special needs children often have outspoken mothers, but let's give credit to the behind the scenes work of their dads."

Relatives aren't the only people who help those living with physical challenges. Roger Carr tells us about volunteers Fighting Arthritis in Fredericksburg, Virginia.

Karen Bastille, who has Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease, celebrates a similar community when she delights in the network of COPD patients -- and shares a great song -- in One More Day.

Music also features prominently in Tupelo Kenyon's Gratitude for Home and Family. Tupelo and his wife Janey are musicians who travel a great deal; since they've lived in several vehicles and now spend a good bit of the year in a motorhome, they have a variety of homes to appreciate!

Continuing with our musical theme, my friend Lee shares the excitement of picking up the guitar again in How to Resurrect an Old Skill.

Elsewhere in the arts, we have Summer Dreams, Tim Abbott's lyrical celebration of summer, complete with images from some of my favorite painters. I have a framed N.C. Wyeth poster in my office at work, and another as the desktop on my work computer, so I found this post a visual treat!

From Chloe Tam, here's a wonderful story about how two people were led, as if by coincidence, to help a stray cat.

Chloe and her husband will probably be pondering that incident for a long time. Sometimes, though, we forget our own acts of kindness, until those we've helped remind us. Samir gives us a lovely story about a good deed rewarded.

When something awful is happening right in front of us, it's often easy to act. But what about suffering thousands of miles away? Charles Modiano shares the awakening of his activism against genocide in Darfur, and gives us some ways we too can make a difference, in "The Devil" Brings Death in Darfur... and to Indifference. Please be aware that this post opens with a graphic and disturbing photograph.

If trying to create change in Darfur seems overwhelming, how about doing it at home? How would you like to try to revolutionize retail culture and American consumerism? Charles tells us how Stephon Marbury and Sarah Jessica Parker are doing just that, bringing hope to many parents and kids.

Financial issues merge with familial ones in Aspeth's Whatever Happened to Frugality? "Lessons from a Depression-era grandfather resonate with me nearly every day. I'm indescribably grateful for the time spent with him, and when I find myself implementing something he taught me, I feel a connection that I don't think will ever be replicated."

And, finally, Chris614 tells a wonderful story of hope and renewal in 12 Months of Change. Congratulations on making so much progress, Chris!

Next month will be Carnival of Hope's twelfth edition, in which we too can ponder twelve months of change. May everyone reading this have a happy and hope-filled month!


  1. Susan, thank you for the opportunity to participate in this lovely carnival. I'm looking forward to reading all of the entries and I've bookmarked your blog for a daily read.
    Thanks again.

  2. What a nice birthday present to be listed here for the blog carnival. And a special treat to go through these new blog posts too. Thanks again. SusieJ


Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.