Thursday, July 12, 2007

Go, Volunteer Chaplains!


Today I learned that a) the police indeed succeeded in talking the jumper off the ledge and b) he wound up at my hospital. The woman who volunteers as a chaplain on Wednesday evenings is also a therapist, and she's terrific, so I was hoping that she'd been there -- with summer vacation schedules, one can never be sure -- and had talked to him.

During my shift this afternoon, I saw a couple of my favorite security guards, and they told me that yes, she'd been there, and had talked to him twice.

I was really happy to hear that, and wrote her a note to tell her so; she puts in a whopping eight volunteer hours a week, and is working tonight in another part of the hospital. I'm sure that talking to her helped him.

And speaking of volunteer hours, I've now passed the 500-hour mark: 500.5, to be precise. It's only taken me almost three years! I'm slow, but I'm steady.

It was a satisfying shift, too: busy, but not too busy, with gratifying and varied visits. A couple of times, I ran upstairs to look for one of the staff chaplains -- once because a family had specifically asked for her, and once because I was trying to hunt down a Spanish bible -- and at the end of the shift, she said, "You did good work today."

I know there are people who say one shouldn't perform this kind of service for strokes, but hey: chaplains are human too, and it's nice to feel appreciated, especially by the professionals.

And I'm going on Day 3 without a nap. Gosh. We'll see if I remain awake during the concert we're attending tonight.

My loveseat's being delivered between 8:45 and 10:45 tomorrow, which means I have to be on campus very early. So if I manage to remain awake for the concert, we'll see if I manage to wake up in time for the furniture delivery, especially since I got only six hours of sleep last night.

Carnival of Hope will indeed be posted tomorrow, but probably not until the afternoon or evening. Have to get that loveseat installed first!

4 comments:

  1. Interesting life.
    Enjoy the journey.
    Blessings
    Peter

    ReplyDelete
  2. At first I read the "shouldn't perform this kind of service for strokes" and thought "why in the world do chaplains not see stroke victims?"

    then I realized what you meant.

    clearly, I require more coffee.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, of course we should do things altruistically, but strokes are nice once in a while too. I used to say that all my patients were illiterate, because I never got a thank you note or good survey with my name on it(nor a bad one-so that's something). Then one day a guy came in and told me I saved his life. I guess if I never get a note, it'll be ok because he was like a gift from God.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Susan, I'm very glad the potential jumper was talked down, seen by a good therapist, and has the chance to recover.

    As for positive strokes...I couldn't say it better than tc TC did. Warm fuzzies from God are always welcome in the middle of a hard job. Kinda lets you know you're in the right place.

    Peace!

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.