Friday, January 05, 2007

Bookcase Balthazar!



Little kitty gave me a scare today because, after running around like a maniac all yesterday, he seemed quite lethargic today, and also wasn't interested in the food we gave him. So this evening, after gnawing my fingernails and reading about various horrible ailments that can afflict kittens -- including a feline version of SIDS -- I raced to the store and bought a bunch of different kinds of food.

IAMS kitten chow seems to have done the trick. He chowed down just fine on that, thank goodness.

The next time I came into the room, I couldn't find him. He wasn't on the white fluffy pillow on my rocking chair where he usually sleeps. He wasn't on the couch. He wasn't under the couch. I was starting to panic when I saw him perched among the rocks, statues and tchotchkes on top of my bookcase. Little kitty's a climber!

So here's a photo of Balthazar with Fledgling and Gabriel. (Mind you, I keep Fledgling on top of the bookcase to try to protect her feathers from cats. Silly me!)

In other news, I wrote a draft of my homily for Sunday. It's definitely not one of my better efforts, but it will do. This is one of those times when I'm really grateful that the center of Episcopal Sunday worship is the Eucharist -- and, in this case, baptism -- and not the homily!

I'll stop posting cute cat pictures soon. Really I will. Honest.


Any minute now. I promise.

What -- you don't believe me?

6 comments:

  1. Adorable! He looks like an angel guard up on that shelf. Has he played gargoyle from a high perch yet? Do you think a display case or shelf higher up for your angels is in your future? Love the pics...no need to stop from where I'm sitting.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What. A. Cutie. (:

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous8:48 AM

    Please don't stop with the kitty pictures!

    Kristen

    ReplyDelete
  4. Don't stop posting photos of Balthazar!!!Pleeeeaaaase? He's so adorable! I can't have kitties because of serious allergies so I enjoy them vicariously at other people's houses. Your shift does sound wearing. Believe it or not, my pastor was considering preaching a sermon about holiday myths including a statistical study that says that suicide and depression are NOT more common at the holidays. He decided not to do it--he mentioned it to me and I just said, well, if you're a person who DOES have a hard time at holidays, statistics don't matter, from your perspective it's 100% incidence. Don't know if that was a factor in his changing his mind but there are a lot of hurting folks in my church at Christmas so I'm glad he did!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi, Terri! I've read those studies too. Suicide actually peaks during the spring, maybe because that's when the gap between people's internal feelings and the external landscape becomes greatest. In winter, the whole world's gray and gloomy, so you can tell yourself that you'll cheer up if the sun comes out. But if the sun comes out and your mood doesn't brighten to match it, you feel even worse.

    Holidays are hard in their own way, though, especially for anyone who's grieving.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Awwww! He is a beautiful and very dignified kitty....so proud that he has conquered the bookcase.

    I can't wait to hear how he interacts with your other cats, or how they tolerate him.

    Please keep the photos coming.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.