Friday, January 26, 2007

Book News! And Julie Andrews!

The Fate of Mice, which has been available for preorder from Amazon for lo, these many months, is now actually in stock. Yes! The book is sitting in Amazon's warehouses, itching to be released into the world and enjoyed by discerning readers! Amazon will send it to you! You can hold it in your hot little hands and breathlessly peruse its scintillating pages! Makes a great gift idea! Order yours now! Don't delay!

I haven't gotten my copies yet, but expect them to arrive within the week. There's nothing quite like the thrill of seeing a finished book.

Meanwhile, Shelter is now listed on Amazon and available for preorder, with a pub date of June 12. Tor's sending out four-color advance reading copies -- my editor tells me they only do that for about six out of thirty books -- and I expect to get my copies of those any minute, too. Oh, and Tor's also going to do an online Reading Group Discussion Guide for the book. My editor called and asked if I wanted to write the questions myself, or if they should have a freelancer do it; I opted to let the freelancer do it, as long as I had final approval. Patrick laughed and said, "Yeah, I figured you didn't need another syllabus to write."

I've been really busy at work this week and haven't had time to respond to comments or e-mails, so if you've posted or sent me something and I haven't gotten back to you, please accept my apologies!

Speaking of e-mail, my mother sent me the wonderful item below. Some of you have probably seen it too, but if not, I hope you enjoy it.

* * *

Actress/vocalist,Julie Andrews, to commemorate her 71st birthday on October 1, made a special appearance at Manhattan's Radio City Music Hall for the benefit of the AARP. One of the musical numbers she performed was "My Favorite Things" from the legendary movie "The Sound Of Music."

Here are the lyrics she used:

Maalox and nose drops and needles for knitting,
Walkers and handrails and new dental fittings,
Bundles of magazines tied up in string,
These are a few of my favorite things.

Cadillacs and cataracts and hearing aids and glasses,
Polident and Fixodent and false teeth in glasses,
Pacemakers, golf carts and porches with swings,
When we remember our favorite things.

When the pipes leak,
When the bones creak,
When the knees go bad,
I simply remember my favorite things,
And then I don't feel so bad.

Hot tea and crumpets and corn pads for bunions,
No spicy hot food or food cooked with onions,
Bathrobes and heating pads and hot meals they bring,
These are a few of my favorite things.

Back pains, confused brains, and no fear of sinnin',
Thin bones and fractures and hair that is thinnin',
And we won't mention our short shrunken frames,
When we remember our favorite things.

When the joints ache,
When the hips break,
When the eyes grow dim,
Then I remember the great life I've had,
And then I don't feel so bad.

Ms Andrews received a standing ovation from the crowd that lasted over four minutes.


  1. When I were nowt but a lad I had a serious crush on Julie Andrews. I moved on to Diane Keaton and Isabelle Huppert shortly afterwards.

  2. I guess I shouldn't get too grumpy about my annoyance at parodies that don't scan when it would only take a few more minutes to make them scan....

    But I thought Julie Andrews had lost her singing voice several years ago due to a botched operation, and had in fact won a massive monetary award because of it.

  3. Congratulation on being "in stock", Susan! I'm looking forward to reading them both! (G)


  4. Anonymous8:09 AM

    Ms. Andrews has indeed lost her real singing voice. As she describes it, a piece of a vocal chord is missing. However, she has a few low notes, often hoarse, which she uses on rare occasions. When she "sings" it is primarily not real singing with sustained notes, but "speak singing," somewhat like Rex Harrison did in My Fair Lady. Her distinctive voice and articulation are still very identifiable, however, despite the very low sounding , often breathy delivery. Her speaking voice is often hoarse as well. To hear her most recent effort, go to HarperCollins' website and you will hear a song she recorded to accompany a wonderful children's book she has published called the Great American Mousical. I believe the song is called "The Show Must Go On," for the character Adelaide. It uses just a few notes, and you can hear how fragile the higher notes are. But it's lovely anyway.

  5. Unfortunately, what Paul A. Said.

    For "My Favorite Things," we are left with that glorious ca. 74" version from Coltrane's "Live in Japan" set.


Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.