Saturday, November 22, 2008

A Restful Day of No Surprises

I slept really late this morning. I've been exhausted, which doesn't make sense on the face of it, since all I've been doing is sitting around hospitals, but I suspect that the stress and worry of the last month are catching up with me. In any case, if I need to sleep, I'm going to sleep; the last thing anyone needs is for me to get sick!

I had a luxurious breakfast of lox with soy cream cheese on a bagel. The route to and from the hospital takes me and Gary right past Adronico's, a wonderful grocery store with all kinds of yummy stuff, including a refreshingly wide selection of non-dairy cheese and ice-cream substitutes. We've been taking advantage of it!

When we got to the hospital, we visited with Dad for about two hours, which included his transfer to another room, and then went out for lunch and a walk. We'd planned to walk on the beach, but instead took a left rather than a right and wound up on the Coastal Trail through Lands End, which winds through beautiful trees (see photos above) and features fabulous views of the Golden Gate Bridge, as you can see here.

The trail also looks down on gorgeous scenes of crashing surf, including this lovely little beach. Oh, and I got my doggie fix, times about 500. We saw all kinds of dogs: big dogs, small dogs, young dogs, old dogs. I patted as many as I could. Gary doesn't care much for dogs, but even he was impressed by my favorite: an 18-month old female Caucasian Ovcharka, a Russian sheepdog the size of a small horse. Evidently the males are twice as large. This dog had feet like dinner platters, with lots of fur between the toes, and a stately sweeping plume of a tail. She was a beauty, but I'm sure she's a lot to handle! Her person adopted her from the SPCA; she'd been abused and abandoned, poor thing, but she looks very happy now. When I was patting and admiring her, her human told me that he's always glad when other people interact with her, because her breed needs more socialization than many other dogs.

We walked for about two hours, and returned to the VA to find Dad asleep, although he woke up about half an hour later. We stayed with him and listened to classical music while he ate his dinner, and then we left to come home and eat our own.

So, all in all, it was a calm, relaxing day. But I'm still exhausted!


  1. That's a beautiful shot of the cliffs and the ocean crashing at their bottom, Susan. I still need to learn how to use the camera on my phone.

    Spending time with your Dad relaxing sounds good. I hope this somewhat more restful phase continues.

    Prayers still ascending!

    Peace! & Hope!

  2. Sitting around a hospital room is one of the more tiring activities I can think of. I'm not surprised you're exhausted. Prayers continue.


Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.