Monday, November 24, 2008

Homeward Bound!


During our lunchtime walk today, Gary and I found this labyrinth on a cliff overlooking the Pacific at Mile Rock Beach. Delighted, I carefully made my way in and then back out again.

Fittingly enough, when we got back to the hospital, we learned that we may be leaving the labyrinth of medical treatment: Dad's being shipped back to the Reno VA via ambulance at about ten tonight, and Gary and I will drive home tomorrow morning. Dad's blood pressure was low this morning, which evidently justified the medical transfer, and the Reno VA not only accepted him but had a bad right away. Hallelujah! He's going to a regular hospital bed, though, not an ICU room, and we hope he'll get to go home before too long. At any rate, he'll now be 200+ miles closer than he was!

We got a tremendous treat at the VA today when we ventured into another building to look for the PX. The hallways were lined with beautiful photographs from the Dog Tags project, portraits of veterans with their pets. The photos were very moving, and Gary and I loved looking at them. I hope the photographer, Don Crowe, publishes a book so that more people can see them.

On the downside, this morning I backed into a concrete pole in the VA parking lot and smashed several large holes in my right fender. Sigh. It's a pretty old car, and the lights still work, so I think the damage is primarily cosmetic. Things could be a lot worse. But the incident was still upsetting.

I hope we have good weather for our drive tomorrow, and not too much pre-Thanksgiving traffic!

3 comments:

  1. Wow, Susan! Great labyrinth! It's the same pattern as the one at my church and looks almost exactly like the one up at St. Stephens Episcopal in Wimberley,TX. How cool that you found it on your walk!

    I'm so glad your Dad is getting a safe trip home. And really sorry you wrecked your car. Prayers ascending for safe trips for all and a good affordable repair for your wheels.

    Peace! Hope! & Joy!
    Lee

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's wonderful news. I'll be sending up prayers for safe travels and a happy, uneventful Thanksgiving for you and yours.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous11:54 AM

    Dear Susan,

    I'm so glad you found the labyrinth! I was going to ask you if you'd been there in a previous post, but then I couldn't remember whether you liked labyrinths or not.

    Here's hoping you and Gary and your Dad have a safe trip home and that you enjoy your Thanksgiving in whatever combination of home and hospital rooms you and all your loved ones spend it in,

    Jean

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.