Friday, December 14, 2007

Knitting News

The balaclava is finished! I hope to get some photos to post tomorrow or Sunday; we're getting ready for company right now, so Gary's not available to pose.

Also, I've been experimenting with different seating. The ideal knitting chair has excellent back support, but no arms. Knitting on our various couches was making my back unhappy, and dealing with chair arms was making my back unhappy in another way. I solved this by resurrecting an old chair from college: a small folding rocking chair, wooden with a caned seat and back, without arms.

Perfect! It was just what the doctor ordered.

Except that it's twenty-five years old, and the caning on the seat has started to give way. I can still sit in it, but that probably won't last long! So now I have to figure out if it makes more sense to have it recaned -- I'm not even sure where I'd have that done -- or to try to find a new one.



  1. Ooh, I love caned chairs. Hope you find someone good to do the caning. Congratulations of finishing the balaclava. Can't wait to see it.


  2. Anonymous5:35 AM

    We had a chair recaned while we were living in Reno. Stop by any of the little antique/junque shops on Virginia street and they'll be able to give you some names of people who recane.

    I knit in an oak glider. the arms are a bother, but I love that gliding action!


Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.