Sunday, December 16, 2007

Behold the Balaclava!


Here are Darling Hubby and the Balaclava of Doom. This shot gives a nice view of the ribbing, your basic K2P2 version, which is fun to knit and has a good solid feel to it.

I know, it's a pretty dorky looking piece of headgear, but it's going to be warm when Gary's hiking on cold, windy days up on the mountain, and that's the main point. As he says, "The deer won't make fun of me."

And anyway, it may be a dorky piece of headgear, but it's a lovingly handknitted dorky piece of headgear. A lovingly handknitted, dorky piece of headgear with poignant historical significance, since I used the pattern the Red Cross distributed during WWI to civilians knitting for men at the front. And lovingly handknitted historical significance has to count for something, right? Gary has been very complimentary about his balaclava, praising my ambition in tackling something this tricky while I'm still a beginner. I praise his noble disregard of fashion in wearing it, even if only in the company of deer!

And here we have a front shot. I kept trying to get Gary to smile, but he refused. (Maybe he'll smile for the deer?) I think he looks a bit Jedi-esque in this shot. "I am not the hiker you are looking for. Move along. Move along, I tell you, because if you don't stop pointing at my dorky piece of headgear and giggling, I'll have to demonstrate my skill with the light saber."

Here's another side view that shows the main portion of the head covering, the part knit in garter stitch. The balaclava was actually pretty easy to knit, once I figured out how to juggle the doublepointed needles. I like DPN work because it's very portable: small projects are ideal for carting to meetings, coffeehouses, on planes, and so forth.

And here's a shot of the top, on this headform thing Gary cleverly rigged up from various household objects. The top looks really dorky because of those two little raised bits resembling ears. (It's a cat! It's a bat! It's a . . . dorky balaclava!) That happened when I started joining the top to the sides, and I'm not sure how I could have prevented it. I suspect it will go away when the balaclava's been worn for a while.

Now I'm making a smaller one for myself, in lovely crimson wool.

And after that, I'll attempt socks!

7 comments:

  1. Fascinating, Susan! Now I know what a balaclava is. It looks very warm and I'm sure it will prevent many cold wind earaches for Gary.

    I'm impressed with the types of projects you are tackling. I doubt I'd get that successful this early. Congratulations and Good Luck!

    Peace!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous5:30 AM

    WOW! dpn's so soon in your knitting career--you're a pro and have every right to call yourself one! The balaclava looks warm and loving and Gary can carry off anything. He's working that balaclava!

    Now that you've mastered dpn's try socks. Turning the heel is easy with good directions, and absolutely magical.
    Inez

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great job! I'm sure that will keep him really warm!

    ReplyDelete
  4. aww.... I think it's cute!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous6:04 AM

    Gary-
    I can't help you with the head-sock, bro.

    Remind me why you like to go on long hikes away from home?

    -John from Georgia

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well, John from Georgia, I've found that going on long hikes *at* home gets kinda boring. And when I climb the dining room table, I keep bumping my head on the ceiling fan.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Anonymous6:13 PM

    Gary-
    Ceiling fan protection! Yet another admirable balaclavian miracle!

    Indoors or out, you the Supa Troopa my friend- and may the force be with you!

    -John

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.