Tuesday, December 04, 2007

Grand Rounds, and Mom

This week's edition of Grand Rounds is up, and I'm delighted to be included. Happy reading!

And in family medical news, my mother's in "hurry up and wait" mode. The gastroenterologist said that her weight loss and lack of appetite could be caused by many things, and she's scheduled for a colonoscopy on December 21. I'm glad this doctor doesn't seem to think the situation's as urgent as her primary-care doctor did, but I'm not thrilled that she has to wait so long to get answers. I asked her if there's any plan for maintaining her weight in the meantime, and she said there isn't.

So we're in a holding pattern, or trying to be.


  1. Thanks for the update on your Mom, Susan. Prayers continue to ascend.


  2. I haven't been around a lot lately; I'm glad to hear your mother is better..

    Just a question, have they got her on Megace? It is usually very effective in stimulating the appetite in people who are losing weight for "unknown" health reasons...

  3. Hi, John! I've never heard of Megace. If she eats a few bites, she feels too full to continue. Would Megace be indicated in that case?

  4. Well, Megace is a primarily an "appetite stimulant", used for people who have no desire to eat. If she is truly feeling bloated and full after just a bite or two, I don't know if that would help with that; it might encourage her to be more hungry more often. I guess the question is, is she hungry, and unable to eat, or does she have no appetite once she feels full.

    Perhaps a gastric motility stimulant (like reglan) would help with the feeling too full too fast, but I'm not sure. I'm sure her doctor knows her best; hopefully these questions are being asked...

    I think it's a good sign that the GI Doc is taking it slowly....


Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.