Sunday, August 30, 2009

Gary's Hefty Hiking Socks!

Here they are: just a teensy bit large -- Gary's hoping they'll shrink in warm water, although I doubt it, since the wool's superwash -- but probably wearable even at their current size. Of course I made some mistakes, but I still think this is an entirely credible pair of socks. We won't have a final verdict until Gary's tried them out on the trail, of course.

Gary chose the yarn, and he's really pleased by the weight and thickness of the socks, which will certainly provide a lot of cushioning on hikes. Wool's the fiber of choice for hiking socks, especially in cold weather, because it stays warm even when it's wet. He wanted fairly high socks to protect his legs from dust and burrs.

I was pleased with how the heels on these came out. They were simple to knit and fit Gary well. I'm still trying to decide which increase method I prefer -- knit front & back, or raised increase -- but I'll settle on a formula eventually. In the meantime, I'm having fun trying different techniques, and look forward to many happy months of sock knitting.


  1. Root-rwoo, look at those legs, I mean socks :) And I do mean the socks. I never thought about what it takes to come home with a good pair of socks. Following along your quest to do it right has been so interesting.

  2. Anonymous6:35 AM

    I love the love that goes into making socks -- that famous item of clothing that the dryer/black hole at the center of the universe devours!

    I sew, so bear in mind that my comments are based on having been a child of someone who sews (but did not approve of dry-cleaning for children because "Children are meant to get dirty!") and as someone who hates the expense and environmental damage associated with dry-cleaning: I test out all fabrics in the microwave.

    Yes, I said it. I test fabrics in the -- gasp -- microwave.

    If a fabric can be successfully sequestered in a jam (or mayonaise) jar filled with water; nuked, boiled, and blistered within an edge of its life by shocking it in cold water in the sink, I know it will survive all challenges to hand or machine washing.

    In the case of "shrink-proof" wool, many are called, but few are chosen.

    You might try this, the next time you have an empty mayonaise jar. If the socks fit as you meant them to, then surely God intended that they should felt a bit and fit a bit better!


Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.