Sunday, August 16, 2009

Better Socks!

I finished the pink socks this morning. They're far from perfect, but they're better than the blue ones! My next challenge is to do some increases on the top of the foot and put ribbing there so the sock will have more give but still fit. There's probably a pattern for that someplace, but probably not for yarn this thick, so I'm experimenting as I go.

This morning I used some junk yarn to experiment with knitting a sock on two circulars. This has practical advantages: you can't lose needles, it's easier to try the sock on as you're knitting, and airlines allow circs onboard but may not allow DPNs. But while I didn't find the technique difficult, it's a pain in the neck, because you have to keep sliding the knitting onto the needle to work the stitches and off the needle, onto the cable, when you're ready to work the second circular. DPNs are much more straightforward, so I'll stick with them and just won't knit socks on planes.

1 comment:

  1. Anonymous6:46 AM

    Nice socks! You can continue the ribbing all the way to the toe, if you like -- it's pretty common. Just do it on two of the DPNs (top) and not the other two.

    who is spending all her yarn time in Tunisian crochet


Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.