Saturday, February 09, 2008

Smitten



Last night I started the feather and fan shawl in James Brett Marble (known as Kertzer in the U.S.) for my cousin Val. I'm delighted with it so far: I love the pattern, the yarn texture -- even though it's 100% acrylic! -- and the colors, and I'm proud of my first venture into lace. Thanks, as always, to Gary for help downloading the photos.

As you can see, I'm using safety pins as stitch markers. They work just fine, but after my ill-advised snarkiness towards people who use fancy stitch markers, I've now decided -- of course -- that I want some myself. My sister's an accomplished beader, so I've commissioned her to make some for me. It will be fun to see what she comes up with!

Also, my friend Katharine, operatic soprano extraordinaire, is kicking around the germs of an idea for a performance piece which would feature me knitting onstage while she sings.

Also, our friends who came over to watch DVDs last night read the poem I just sent out, and agreed -- looking somewhat green about the gills -- that it's very powerful, albeit depressing. But I sent it to a journal that's doing a special issue about mental illness, so I think the tone's appropriate.

Also, Bishop Dan was very gracious about rescheduling our meeting: "Why tempt the stars?" he said. And he e-mailed me nice news: As of yesterday, he and his wife are the proud grandparents of a ten-pound baby boy. Yay, babies!

4 comments:

  1. Ooh, that is so pretty! Susan you are definitely talented in this. I can't wait to see the finished piece. Hope you'll post pictures of your sister's bead work too.

    Peace!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Lee! The best thing about this pattern is that it's really easy, although it looks complicated.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is absolutely exquisite, Susan !

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you, Elizabeth!

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.