Tuesday, February 12, 2008

Goodies


Here's more of the new shawl; I have ten inches now, although I'll have to take a break from it this weekend to finish Alex's shawl. I love this so much that I can't resist showing it off, and Gary encouraged me by saying this evening, "You should post another picture, now that you have more of it."

One of my students says that I've inspired her to learn how to knit. World domination through knitting! Bwah-hah-hah!

Speaking of which, several people -- my friend Jen at work, and my friend Dorothy back in NYC -- have encouraged me to join Ravelry, a knitting/crocheting site that's so popular that there's a waiting list to get on. I sent in my e-mail address about a month ago and got my invitation to join yesterday, so I've checked it out a little bit. It's pretty overwhelming, and I don't think I'll be able to spend any time there until this summer. Among other things, the site includes every special-interest group you could think of, and some you couldn't. I've joined a group for Episcopalian knitters, a group for Joss Whedon fans who knit, a group for BSG fans who knit, and a group called "Christian Geeks" that tickled my fancy. I've had no time to read posts yet, but I love all these knitting niches!

Yesterday at work I got an excellent annual evaluation, which should translate at some point (God willing and the Nevada state budget crisis doesn't worsen) into a pleasant raise. Gary tells me that I'm hereby authorized to buy more yarn.

Yesterday at work I also got a wonderful package, a signed copy of my friend Peter Schakel's book, Is Your Lord Large Enough?: How C.S. Lewis Expands Our View of God. I met Peter when I interviewed for a position at Hope College, where he teaches, in 1994-95; I didn't get the job, but we've stayed in touch since then. He's one of the kindest, most thoughtful and most generous people I know (as evidenced by the fact that he sent me a personally inscribed copy of his book when I owe him roughly 5,000 e-mails), and he's also a leading Lewis scholar, so I can't wait to read his book! I think it will be my plane-reading treat to and from Kaua'i.

Elsewhere in publishing news, my friend, former star student and fellow knitter Inez just made her first professional story sale. Yay, Inez! You go, girl! I hope one day I'll have personally inscribed copies of your books, too!

My second med-school seminar today didn't go as well as the first, probably because I was trying to cover too much material, but I'll try to get it right again next Tuesday, when I'll be teaching it down in Vegas.

And that's the news. Must sleep now!

2 comments:

  1. Wow, Susan! Sounds like you're moving into a happy place, what with a new social site, a possible raise, all your exquisite knitting, and contact from a good friend! This is awesome! I'm so glad for you!

    Joy! And an early Happy Valentine's Day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Lee! Happy Valentine's Day to you, too!

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.