Friday, February 15, 2008

Adventures with Buffy


Remember the darling puppy who visited my fiction workshop last spring? As you may recall, my posting about her on my blog led to her being adopted by a fellow chaplain and her husband. Today I had lunch with Nancy, Buffy's new mom, and then visited Buffy at home. Here she is looking alert and watchful. (Click on any of the thumbnails to enlarge.)

Here she is cuddling with Nancy. She's an incredibly sweet dog and she's found two very loving and devoted people, so it's a success story all around. They have her very well trained: she stays with her people when she's off-leash (although she thoroughly enjoys romping with other dogs) and she doesn't jump. She's still a little shy around strangers, so they aren't sure if she'll make a good therapy dog, but that may still happen, since she's still under a year old.

Nancy took some pictures of me with Buffy, but I look like a deranged hunchback, so I decided not to post them.

Of course I wanted to bring Buffy a toy. A few months ago, I saw a Dracula dog toy at PetSmart, and I went there this morning hoping to find one so I could give it to her and get photos of her emulating her namesake (she's named after Buffy the Vampire Slayer, of course). But it turned out that the vampire dolls are seasonal, and there weren't any left, so I had to settle for this giant snake. That's okay, though, because -- as all Buffy fans know -- this snake just has to be the Mayor at the end of Season 3.

As you can tell, Buffy copped to his sinister nature immediately, and dragged him out of his comfy lair -- the dog bed -- and away from her red plush bone. One must protect the homestead.

The Mayor tried to double back around to attack her with his second set of fangs (I don't believe the Mayor on the show sported this feature, but this Mayor's even scarier). Our noble Buffy, however, was too tough for him.

Here she is, triumphant!

If I were more technically savvy, I'd have taken a video of her playing with the snake, used the Buffy theme as a soundtrack, and posted it on YouTube. But since I'm not technically savvy, you'll all just have to hum the theme to yourselves.

(Does anybody remember when NPR covered the end of the show and played the theme on the air? I teared up, I swear.)

A Slayer's work is never done! Not an hour after her victory over the Mayor, Buffy was in combat again, this time with the dreaded Stick Demon.

She won that contest too, natch.

What a good Slayer! Of course Nancy and I gave her lots of treats and pats.

It's been a very doggy week for me. On Sunday, I visited Sharon and walked her dog Misty, a teacup-sized Ratchau: a cross between a rat terrier and a chihuahua. Misty led me on a forty-minute romp through mud and snow. Oh, the bushes to sniff! The mailbox posts to investigate! The smells to inspect!

Meanwhile, Figaro and Harley are blissfully asleep on my study couch. Mayors and Stick Demons don't bother them. They just yawn, eat some catfood, and go back to sleep.

1 comment:

  1. Anonymous12:02 PM

    That is an adorable dog! Love the pic of her cuddling with her mom.

    -NurseBetty

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.