Friday, September 22, 2006

Scattered Updates

Thanks to everyone who commented on my previous post with prayers for my father. He's back home; I just talked to him. It turns out that he stayed in the ER overnight and was released this morning, with new meds, by a doctor who wants the family to keep an eye on him this weekend and wants to see him back on Monday. Between the uncomfortable gurney and the noise, Dad spent a very sleepless night in the ER, but did have a fine time talking to a nurse who's a fellow sailor.

His main annoyance at the hospital stay was that he'd gone to the VA to have a driving test so he can be approved for an electric scooter. The test was canceled when the doctor saw his EKG and sent him to the ER instead. So after being discharged from the ER, Dad went and doggedly sat outside the driving-test office for an hour or so until someone showed up, and managed -- with the help of a very nice patient who let Dad have his appointment -- to get himself into a slot today.

Dad's 84 and taking a bewildering array of medications; his eyesight's none too good, and he'd gotten no sleep. Predictably, he didn't do well on the driving test, but he did talk the examiner into letting him take it again a week from Monday, when he'll be better rested and will have new glasses.

Have I mentioned that my father's a force of nature? If I'd spent a sleepless night in an ER, I'd go straight home and go to bed, not camp out at another hospital office to reschedule a test! (What do you want to bet he gets that scooter?) I hope I have half his energy when I'm his age!

Meanwhile, I was very moved by this story about music as a treatment for schizophrenia. (Thanks to Nickie for the link!) It's a lovely article anyway, but it was especially welcome after my previous post about the frustrations of trying to communicate with delusional patients at the hospital.

And in writing news, the cover flats for the mass-market paperback edition of The Necessary Beggar arrived a few days ago:

It's always a thrill to have one more piece of evidence that a book's inching towards publication! This one will be on sale March 6, 2007.

As for me, I found the lab this morning and got through my two meetings later on. I also swam, which made me feel much better. But I've still gotten almost no grading done, so I'd better get to it!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.