Tuesday, December 01, 2009

Meet Sydney the Cockatiel!


Charlene, my fiddle teacher, has a new pet: a cockatiel named Sydney. Sydney's a little shy and actually doesn't like Charlene that much (she's devoted to Charlene's husband Josh), but after I fed her a treat, she decided I was okay and fluttered onto my shoulder. I grew up with parakeets, so I'm comfortable around birds. I cooed at her and kissed her feathers while she played with my earrings and ran back and forth across my back, a game that became even more fun when Charlene tried to get her to come down so I could go home. Charlene would reach for her on one of my shoulders and Sydney would run merrily to the other. Back and forth, back and forth! Birdie exercise!

She was very good during the lesson itself; just sat on her cage and chirped occasionally. Charlene's teaching me tonalization exercises and jig bowing, though I've yet to learn any jigs to which to apply it. I'm having fun, though!

If you're wondering why I've been so bad about blogging, it's not because I've been having so much fun fiddling (although I did have a lot of fun shopping, for myself, on Black Friday: very decadent). It's because that sleep thing, whatever it is, has my schedule in a shambles. I slept through my hospital shift on Saturday, which is mortifying. I managed to get to church on time on Sunday, but today I slept until 12:30. Gahhhhh!

I stopped by the lab today for the bloodwork my primary-care doc ordered -- I couldn't do it last week because of the holiday -- so with any luck, we'll get some answers soon. In the meantime, I'm scrambling to stay on top of what I need to do.

That said, back to work!

3 comments:

  1. Anonymous4:49 AM

    Zeke is very upset to see you giving shoulder time to another bird. But Sydney is very cute!

    Inez

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous6:40 PM

    Susan, when you say you're missing activities because you're sleeping through them, do you mean you're setting an alarm and then sleeping through it? I find setting the alarm on my cell phone to vibrate and then leaving it under my pillow to be very effective way to wake up on time even if I'm exhausted.

    Happy to hear you're knitting and writing and having good shifts.

    Love,

    Claire

    ReplyDelete
  3. Inez: Tell Zeke I'd give him shoulder time if I were there or he were here. And in the meantime, scritch him on the head for me!

    Claire: I set the alarm, put it across the room, get up to turn it off, and then fall back into bed, unconscious. Sometimes I can make myself stay up. Often I can't. I've always been a reluctant riser, but Gary, who's known me for two decades now, agrees that the latest pattern is unusual.

    Also, by the time I do get up, the cats have usually either been head-butting the bedroom door or crawling all over me, chewing on the occasional exposed ear or shoulder, and if that doesn't get me up, I doubt a vibrating phone would, either.

    Sigh.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.