Sunday, December 20, 2009

Christmas Cat Belt


For the past few months, I've been working on a doubleknit belt for my mother. I always give her a cat-related item for Christmas, so I designed this Aztec-looking kitty cat for the belt. It's a little funky, but I think she'll like it.

From this first photo, I hope you can make out the reversible design. I sewed on two rings, one on each side of the belt, as a buckle, so that's reversible too.

Here's a slightly better view of light cat on dark background.

I'm so glad I got the belt done before my trip. I enjoy doubleknitting, but it's definitely not a travel project; as you knit each row, the two strands of yarn wind around each other, so as you begin each new row, you have to untangle the strands and switch the position of the skeins. This is either soothing or tedious, depending on your point of view. It's a great thing to do while listening to music or an audiobook, but it's not TV knitting, or anything to undertake in a cramped airplane seat.

And here's a closeup of dark cat on light background. I know this animal probably isn't automatically identifiable as a cat, but my mother will get the idea!

And now, back to socks, which are ideal travel projects: compact and portable, yet using a range of techniques. Yay, socks!

3 comments:

  1. Anonymous5:45 PM

    WOW -- that's some involved knitting! I'm sure your mom will love it -- it's gorgeous!

    Inez

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you very much! Since you're one of my knitting mentors, that comment means a lot to me! (By the way, I'm currently making a pair of socks for my sister from some of the yarn you sent me. Thanks again!)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous8:33 AM

    very impressive pattern, Susan!

    Jean

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.