Tuesday, March 01, 2011

Grrrr. Aaaargh.

The other day I was listening to an audiobook on my Kindle, using headphones, when I felt two small electric shocks -- one in each ear -- and the book stopped working. This is deucedly strange, but to make a long story short, the entire Kindle stopped working, and I called Kindle support, and they said they'd send me a replacement machine. This is my second replacement machine, and you have to print out a mailing label for the one you're returning, and although they make it as simple as possible, it's still a pain in the neck, not to mention the inconvenience of being without the Kindle for several days.

So today I got the e-mail from Amazon.com saying that they'd shipped the new Kindle, which will be delivered tomorrow. Fortunately, I read the whole message, because they're not delivering it to me tomorrow. They're sending it to my sister's house in Philadelphia. I have her address saved on my account so I can send her gifts easily; the customer-service rep hit the wrong button and didn't confirm the address.


So I shot off an urgent e-mail to my sister and then called Amazon back. This evening's customer-service rep apologized profusely (although she was also laughing very hard), and put a $15 credit on my account for the inconvenience, which was very decent of her.

Still: aaaargh!


  1. Sounds like they haven't quite got the bugs out of these little critters yet.

  2. Anonymous7:36 AM

    What a very strange story! Are your ears OK?

    Hope you get your new e-reader soon, and also hope it behaves itself and doesn't bite!


  3. Yes, my ears are fine! And I should get the new Kindle tomorrow.

  4. It's one of those annoyances of the "delivery" age. When something goes wrong, even when one gets excellent customer service, we have to wait for the replacement. Given how much I have come to appreciate the "get the book now while I'm in the middle of nowhere" that the Kindle allows, I have become highly impatient with waiting.


Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.