Friday, December 17, 2010

Snow Day


It's been snowing here all day. I'd planned to go to the gym today, to go to the garage for a minor car repair, and to go to my fiddle lesson. Instead, I've just stayed inside. (Charlene called this morning and said that if I wanted to cancel because of weather, it was fine with her.)

Forecasts are for us to get socked with a series of winter storms from now until early next week, and then maybe around Christmas, too. This was the lead story in the paper this morning, with warnings about avalanches, floods, high winds, and possible power outages. Motorists, especially in the mountains, are alerted to be prepared for "slow and hazardous" travel, and to make sure they've brought lots of food, water and blankets.

So we've just made our formal decision not to go to San Francisco, and are cancelling reservations. Sigh.

We'll see if I get to the hospital tomorrow.

Tomorrow's two years since my father's terrible trip from the Palo Alto VA back to Reno, through a Sierra blizzard with only one oxygen tank (described in this post), and Sunday is two years since Gary's dad died. So this weather seems to be a historical pattern. With any luck, though, everyone we love will remain alive this weekend.

2 comments:

  1. Well that is bad news. I'm sorry your plans are not going to work out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous10:35 AM

    Dear Susan,

    I'm so sorry the snow is getting in your way - but I hope you will find other ways to celebrate the holidays instead.

    And I hope that everyone you love will live and thrive this week-end so you can take a break from some of those sad seasonal patterns of the past.

    Peace be with you,

    Jean

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.