Thursday, December 23, 2010

But Not That Dense

My doctor's nurse called this morning. My doctor can't offer a terribly informed opinion about this test because it's so new, but the nurse did say that while my report says I have dense breast tissue, there's no indication that the radiologist had any trouble reading the scan, which was absolutely normal. There's simply no indication for further testing, so I'm not going to do it.

As the nurse said, "Three hundred dollars is a lot to charge people for peace of mind." We talked a little about the marketing aspects of this. Like me, the nurse is offended that this company's capitalizing on women's fears of mortal illness, trying to create anxiety even when existing diagnostic exams reveal no reason for it.

In other news, I'm knitting my first pair of kneesocks, and this morning managed to do the knitting math required to calculate how many increases I need, over how many rows, for the sock to fit over my calf. We'll see how this works out. Knitting: always an adventure!

1 comment:

  1. I'd also gotten talked to by a past doctor about "dense breast tissue" during a mammogram and had a repeat mammogram. Nothing. A few years have gone by, I've lost a little weight and am somewhere in menopause, so that problem has gone away.


Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.