Monday, December 13, 2010

Back in the Saddle


I went to the hospital this weekend for the first time in, like, forever, since my various ailments have kept me away. It was a good shift; many of my visits seemed especially meaningful to patients, and I also had a nice conversation with a nurse I haven't seen in a while.

In church on Sunday, I had the pleasure of listening to a friend preach. He was in my preaching class (he's a priest now), and he's very gifted. The homily was beautifully crafted and well delivered, the best sermon I've heard in a long time. Afterwards, when I complimented him, he said, "Thanks! And speaking of which, are you interested in doing any preaching here?"

I told him I am. He's going to mention it to the rector. I'm very happy; one reason I chose this parish is because I thought I might have a chance of preaching again, but I didn't expect the subject to come up this soon.

This week's a bit crazy. I'll be handing in grades tomorrow, but the week's still filled with meetings and other work tasks, including preparation of annual-review materials, a chore which always takes at least three days. I'm trying to get the first draft of my novel done by the time classes start on January 18, but I just got a revision request on an essay I submitted to a volume on Tolkien, and the new version's due January 15. (We were supposed to get revision requests in October, but the editor's been ill; I can certainly relate to that kind of delay!) I'm also behind on Christmas knitting, which absolutely has to be done by the end of this week, so I can get packages in the mail before our trip to San Francisco.

At least, we hope we'll be going to San Francisco. Weather forecasts are grim: if we can make it over the mountains, it's supposed to rain all week in the city. So even if we get there, I may not get my Christmas walk on the beach after all.

Oh well. We can always hit the museums. If we wind up stuck here for Christmas, I'll probably spend part of the day at the hospital, since anyone in the ER that day will need extra comfort. But as much as I love my volunteer work, I'd rather be in San Francisco!

1 comment:

  1. Sounds like you are starting to get back on track. Good for you. How wonderful that there is talk already of your doing some preaching. It would be a shame not to make use of your talents. I'll keep my fingers crossed for you that the weather holds up...but....if it doesn't, there are always lots of people and places close to home that could use your help. Nothing says Christmas like doing good for someone else.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.